Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok after about an hour I have my fi2000r and baron big air kit installed, it seems I have a more even power band, but the torquiness is gone? And where I could get up to 160 easy enough it seems that I'm at 130 and it really doesnt wanna go up.

I still have the stock exhaust (which I wouldnt think would limit the top end though) and I am using the processor at stock from cobra which is I think 4-3-0,

Every one else runs 2-2-1 but that's normally with an aftermarket exhaust, any tuning settings with a stock exhaust that anyone might recommend ?

thanks

·
Registered
729 Posts
Not sure but it sounds like you are running to rich.
If the settings for most with aftermarket pipes is 2-2-1 and you are running 4-3-0.Most pipes flow as good as or better than stock. I would start with 1-0-0 and slowly work up from there. First dial is for idle to 1800-2200 rpm/ next dial for midrange up to 3500-3700/ last dial for wide open throttle & high rpm.
Each setting adds more fuel and each area of the tri set add more fuel, you are set just as rich at idle as most are at half throttle.
Just my .02

·
Registered
729 Posts
I was directed to tune the FI2000 in three separate steps.
Reader digest

first one at a constant 2000 rpm add a little until rpm drops then back off.

mid at slow speed 20-25 mph in 3rd Snap throttle no more than 2/3rds add a little tell no improvement.

final at wot. add a little until no improvement.

I believe Mine is set at 3.5-1.5-1 with the current set up but has been as rich as 4-2.5-2 with no added baffles

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I've set mine up to 2-2-1 to start, I figure this is a good place as most users end up around here, I will adjust +/- to see what works best, but 2-2-1 already shows better response.

I ordered a set of Vance and Hines Twin slash staggered pipes today (with additional quiet baffles) so in a few days I should be setup with a little more power (with my FI and my BAK already installed) :) and a sweeter exhaust note. I will dive deeper into the settings after thats all installed :) After that the only thing left to upgrade will be my front pulley to drop my top end rpm for my hiway trips)

thanks for your recommendations :)

I wish cobra was a little more detailed on how things affect what (I've always had fuel injected bikes/cars).

·
Registered
729 Posts
I think the factory settings from Cobra are a bit over, possibly liability?
Each machine is a bit different and then with a lot of different combo's
With the set up that I have now pulls very good right up to 160 kph then starts to drop off at 175+
My weight with gear is 115 kg

·
Registered
529 Posts
When you get your pipes on try 2-1.75-1. That was best for me when I had that controller living about 500 ft above sea level.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the factory settings from Cobra are a bit over, possibly liability?
Each machine is a bit different and then with a lot of different combo's
With the set up that I have now pulls very good right up to 160 kph then starts to drop off at 175+
My weight with gear is 115 kg

ya every bike has its own 'temperament"... attitude? :p so I know some playing will be involved :) but these give me a good baseline and I know what to approximately look for based on everyones suggestions and results

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When you get your pipes on try 2-1.75-1. That was best for me when I had that controller living about 500 ft above sea level.

I'll give that a go when the pipes are installed. :)

thanks

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
Can I ask why you didn't opt for the auto tune model? Takes all the guess work out of it.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Can I ask why you didn't opt for the auto tune model? Takes all the guess work out of it.
$425 vs $160 on ebay might have had something to do with it.

I automatically assume this is the biggest decision maker for most folks.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts

It would have been for me lol. I got lucky that my bike already had the big 3 installed when I bought it. Saved me a bunch of dough. Mine has the Power Commander V installed which is what I would have went with anyway if I had to purchase one myself, so that was even better :)

·
Registered
67 Posts

Yep, that was my decision process.. up here in Canada the fi2000r lists 350$ (got mine for 300) and the powerpro lists for 890$ but can be found on sale for 700$ ish

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
Yep, that was my decision process.. up here in Canada the fi2000r lists 350$ (got mine for 300) and the powerpro lists for 890$ but can be found on sale for 700$ ish
Holy Crap! You need more friends in the US to buy your stuff and ship it to you. That is simply ridiculous!

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
Yeah "NO" called and left a message saying "NO". That is insane.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The autotune is upwards of 700 (and I just spent that on a V&H exhaust :p

I'm good with finding the sweet spot then never changing it ;)

·
Registered
360 Posts
I bought my Cobra Powerpro Fi2000 auto tuner on Amazon for US$446.

Just do a search.

I have items shipped to the USA (Blaine, Washington) and run across the border and grab them. No problems. Free shipping to the USA.

Yes, us Canucks pay the FX on the US dollar, but what are ya gonna do?

By the way, there is no "sweet spot" for a 3-pot tuner, unless you never change elevation, always use the exact same fuel, always ride at the same ambient temperature, and never change another thing on your bike.

Just my 2 cents - why fiddle with it when the auto-tuner corrects the fuel 80 times per second!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I bought my Cobra Powerpro Fi2000 auto tuner on Amazon for US$446.

Just do a search.

I have items shipped to the USA (Blaine, Washington) and run across the border and grab them. No problems. Free shipping to the USA.

Yes, us Canucks pay the FX on the US dollar, but what are ya gonna do?

Just my 2 cents - why fiddle with it when the auto-tuner corrects the fuel 80 times per second!
Ya, I don't have a passport right now so that's difficult. plus gas to border $, taxes $$ duty $$$ etc etc. I'm not against paying... (I've invested about 5g now into my vulcan in 3 months). I just don't think it's worth the extra 500 bucks, my views will no doubt change later when my bank account starts to recover from my ... hobby ;P it's all good

By the way, there is no "sweet spot" for a 3-pot tuner, unless you never change elevation, always use the exact same fuel, always ride at the same ambient temperature, and never change another thing on your bike.
well... I pretty much follow this :p so far anyhow, ontario is pretty flat, I almost always use the same fuel, I try to always ride in good weather, and.... ya well ok I won't be changing much after this week? :p

lol

besides, if I mount the FI on my tank and put pot extenders on then I can control it as I ride :p lmao....

I have bought pretty much all my gear from one online website, they are the cheapest I have found, I've tried going to my dealer to give him business, but they just can't touch the online site pricing. so in all I have gotten in the last few months the savings have allowed me to buy more :)

I got the 2000r because I wanted to be able to afford my pipes. this was the only way to have it all now :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I got the 2000r because I wanted to be able to afford my pipes. this was the only way to have it all now :)
Haha I hear that.. I was thinking of maybe picking up a powerpro next season as my big bike purchase of the year.. this year was the pipes (The V&H sound awesome by the way)

What site do you get your stuff from? (I primarily use canadasmotorcycle.ca)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Haha I hear that.. I was thinking of maybe picking up a powerpro next season as my big bike purchase of the year.. this year was the pipes (The V&H sound awesome by the way)

What site do you get your stuff from? (I primarily use canadasmotorcycle.ca)
same, they are the best price anywhere i've seen.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I get very good results with my current settings(at Sea level) at Mt. Rainer and all through Idaho/Montana/Washington/Oregon. Worst 46 best 60mpg, more to do with speed and incline.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts