Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put the FP combat 2into 1 on a few weeks ago. Seemed to have lost a just a touch of low end. Pretty much just on take off. Once Im rolling the performance
Was noticeably better. Reading up a bit figured I was running lean. The decel pop was terrible. Got a Cobra FI2000 installed yesterday. This is supposed to read the bike and tweak 80 times per second. This is in the top 5 biggest mistakes I've ever made. The bike pops worse has several hesitation issues. I will be calling the shop today I spent big bucks for this unit and never had worse buyers remorse. Somebody has got to make this good!. Has anyone else had similar experience? Is there a fix? This is a no tweak system so I believe what you get is what you get.

Somebody heeellllppp
Jimmy D

·
Registered
851 Posts
IMO...Get rid of the fi2000 and go with a PC5 you will notice a difference in power and probably better fuel mileage. I had a fi2000 and I think they're all junk, they only curve the air/fuel mixture with really no gain in power. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
The ULTIMATE in tuneability is the PCV...period.

There is no such thing invented yet that can tune an engine 80 times per second for any and all modifications done without having sensors in the exhaust to analyze the air/fuel mixture. The Cobra units do not analyze the exhaust gasses so their claims are false.

Some peeps have had success with the Cobra unit, some have not. You may have received a defective unit. Contact Cobra, they should be able to address this issue.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
580 Posts
If I were you I would sell or return the unit. I had a PCV installed on my 2012 Voyager for a few months and noticed impressive gains in driveability and power. I then purchased the add-on Autotune with the dual O2 sensors. It is night and day above what the Fi2000 offers in my opinion.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
Guess I need to get the PCV

·
Registered
580 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
The PCV is the way to go for sure. Very adjustable. I've had mine on for 7 years.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Went by the shop yesterday and they will have my PC5 tomorrow. They are returning the FI2000, installing and mapping the PC5. They are only charging me for the part. They are going to credit the previous labor and no charge for the swap. I suppose all dealers aren't the "stealers" we often refer to. Thanks again for everyones input. I"ll chime in again once it's installed.

Jimmy D

·
Registered
580 Posts
Went by the shop yesterday and they will have my PC5 tomorrow. They are returning the FI2000, installing and mapping the PC5. They are only charging me for the part. They are going to credit the previous labor and no charge for the swap. I suppose all dealers aren't the "stealers" we often refer to. Thanks again for everyones input. I"ll chime in again once it's installed.

Jimmy D
Excellent, sounds like you have a pretty good dealer there. Maybe hit up David for a map when it's done as he has a good one.

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts

Jimmy D
Unless the dealer has a dyno they cannot "map" it. More than likely they will just upload a map into the PCV but that in no way guarantees ur skoot will be properly tuned.

As dlars suggested you can contact David for a map/maps that may be more suitable for ur skoot.

RACNRAY

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
There is an adjustment on the PowerPro that will tweak the system. I don't know if that matters at this point, but it's accessed with a twist of the wire connector (into the main box).

That opens it up and then there is a screw on a blue platform that can be adjusted to decrease or increase the impact that the tuner has on your system. Clockwise to increase fuel, counterclockwise to decrease fuel (but they said all the way counterclockwise is still slightly more than stock).

I haven't tried it, but that is what Cobra is saying...

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
FUNNY that a self adjusting FI tuner has an...

ADJUSTER!!!

GO FIGGER!!!

RACNRAY

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
^^^^^ LOL too funny

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Just following up. I played with the adjustment on the PowerPro auto-tune (does that sound right) and it really does have a huge impact. I didn't have the issues that the OP had, but I can say that I was able to tweak out a tiny surge I use to feel at low rpm.

I can't imagine any system being automatic without at least having an O2 sensor, so I guess it would have to have some way to work with multiple vehicle set-ups.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah I may have botched the semantics when I said "map it". They have some maps available to dump into the processor. I have pm'd David and Cannonball to try to get their maps. If I dont get the results I need I'll start hunting for a dyno to get it tuned in. Thanks again for everyones help. I'll get this right yet.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
Kap, what kind of adjustment did you do?? counter clockwise or clockwise?

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
I went counterclockwise to a horizontal position. The picture taken was where it was to start (almost vertical).

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
I will try mine I am running rich...Thanks! I do have the PCV coming in a few days with ignition and fuel tuning.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Yeah I may have botched the semantics when I said "map it". They have some maps available to dump into the processor. I have pm'd David and Cannonball to try to get their maps. If I dont get the results I need I'll start hunting for a dyno to get it tuned in. Thanks again for everyones help. I'll get this right yet.
Jimmy sent you a message- I'm on a quest to find or tweak to a perfect map for my VV.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
I believe to get it right. Is to have someone dyno the bike. But also know what they are doing when tuning it/ mapping. I just got new to me the vaquero last week, loaded. I am fortunate to have RacnRay almost in my backyard. I will be getting the PC5, this week. And a gasket for the throttle body from thunder mfg. And I will have Ray tune the bike. Plus throttle mod.
I recommend talking to Ray, he can inform you of the right questions to ask the tuner, to help you decide who is knowledgeable. Dyno tuning seems like a lost art.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts