Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, been a Vulcan rider for many years & upgraded to a 2012 Vaquero with V&H slash cut slip ons in April. Finally got a little cash saved up & bought a PCV & K&N air filter. When installing I found the bike already had a FI2000 & K&N air filter installed but has quite a bit of decel pop. I removed the FI2000 & while installing the PCV I removed the air box & found that the breather tube at the top had been plugged with a smaller tube & bolt. From what I can tell this goes to an air valve & then splits to the top of each cylinder. Since the PCV instructions said nothing about it I removed the plug upon re-assembly. I downloaded the PC map for the bike with the V&H slip ons & stock air cleaner & installed on the PCV. Been riding some & I still get a significant amount of decel popping. So here's here's my questions:
1. Was I correct in unplugging the breather tube?
2. Should I look for any other mods that could be affecting the operation of the PCV (like the plugged breather tube).
3. Anyone have a better map for my setup?

Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Plugging the certain tubes is a common action to try to reduce or stop the decel popping. Search around for "marbling".

Haven't done too much research on it, but I think adding a little "0" fuel from 2000 to redline can help with popping. Increase in increments of 5.

As a side note, you should first check the pipes are tight/sealed to the jugs.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
No,you need to replug that hose. It's actually a step in installing a Big Air Kit. (BAK)
That's a EPA thing and can cause exhaust popping.

·
Registered
281 Posts
No,you need to replug that hose. It's actually a step in installing a Big Air Kit. (BAK)
That's a EPA thing and can cause exhaust popping.
+1 What David said. It is a must. If you leave it unplugged, you can tune the PCV till the cows come home and never get rid of popping. Think of the hose being unplugged as an induced air leak. It injects fresh air into the exhaust to cause ignition of any fuel vapors and thus . POP POP POP

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally got around to working on the bike, runs great with the breather tube plugged! Thanks for all the help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts