Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FI2000 Settings:
4-2-0 (Stock)
4-2-1 (Cobra Advised to use with Exhaust and Intake)
2-2-1 (Forums Advised to use with Exhaust and Intake)

I need a little help here. I searched and most of what I found was a few years old. I need some of you with the FI2000 to chime and in provide some up to date and recent info on the settings.

I currently have a 2010 Vulcan 900 with a Hard Krome 2.5" Exhaust. I called Cobra and they stated to use the factory settings of 4-2-0. I'm using those settings and the bike runs great (well it appears it does anyway).

Tomorrow I plan to install the Cobra PowerFlo Air Intake. I asked Cobra if I should change the settings and they stated not really, If you want, you can try using 4-2-1 to add some fuel for full open throttle. They stated that 4-2-1 has been tested and recommended for a Vulcan 900 with the big "3" installed.

But today, I've been reading up on the here that using the Big "3" (Exhaust, FI2000 and Intake) that a lot are having great success with using 2-2-1. That's the general conciseness at least.

So what are your thoughts? The first setting is for idle anyway, so as long as I use 4-2-1 or 2-2-1, the bike should be exactly the same in the mid and top end, right? Just idle a little differently with the first setting?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the second thread I've seen that references the "Big 3" ... can someone tell me what that is? What does it refer to?
Big "3" = Exhaust, Air Intake Kit and Programming (FI2000 or Power Commander). Just like my original post states.

At least that's what I take it to mean.

·
BOTY Winner 2015!, BOTM Winner, July 2015
136 Posts
I run 5-3-1, at least right now. Cobra slashdowns, Kuryakyn Pro-R hyper charger, and the FI2000. With all the rides I've done over the past several weeks with those settings, I've only had one loud pop out of the exhaust. One pop in about 650 miles. Exhaust does smell slightly rich with these settings. MPG wise I'm not sure as I haven't calculated it yet.

Main thing I've noticed though is that my house and surrounding areas are 4,400 feet in elevation. I ride up to 10,000 feet with no issues. Not sure if altitude has a ton to do with those settings or not. Hope this doesn't confuse things.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Probably not exactly what you are wanting to hear but I wouldn't hesitate if I had to buy the Fi2000 powerpro with the auto tine feature all over again. It has kept my 900 consistent in performance regardless of a full debaffle and cold air intake. It stays just as responsive through the hills as it does on a straight stretch. If I had to go back to day one with my 900, this would be my first investment. No guessing no fiddling. Just plug it in and holy $#!+ its a new ride.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Probably not exactly what you are wanting to hear but I wouldn't hesitate if I had to buy the Fi2000 powerpro with the auto tine feature all over again. It has kept my 900 consistent in performance regardless of a full debaffle and cold air intake. It stays just as responsive through the hills as it does on a straight stretch. If I had to go back to day one with my 900, this would be my first investment. No guessing no fiddling. Just plug it in and holy $#!+ its a new ride.
I'm kinda with you on this one. I was planning to purchase the Auto Tuner, but to my surprise (I bought a used bike) I had the FI2000R already on the bike dialed in. It was set to factory defaults 4-2-0, which is a good thing. All I had at the time was in the Tuner and 2.5" Exhaust.

Now that I've added the Cobra Air Intake, I know I need to adjust the settings, I just don't know to what!?

I've searched a lot, and I mean a lot. I've called Cobra a few times as well. Here's where I stand currently.

With the FI2000R, Cobra Air Intake and My 2.5" Full Exhaust, I was told to run 4-2-0 or 4-2-1 by Cobra.

My research from the forums shows that may be too rich. So a lot of folks who have posted on here and else where are stating that 2-2-1 seems like the sweet spot.

Of course, these settings are all dependent on atmospheric variations as well.

I set my bike to 4-2-0 with the Big 3 installed on it last night and took it out for a joy ride. Ripped through all the gears, and things seem fine, maybe a little whezzing at full open throttle. So I pulled over and set the tuner to 4-2-1. Went back out, ripped through the gears for a while and it felt a lot better in wide open throttle.

That being said, I think it's safe to leave the Yellow and Red settings to x-2-1. However, I think the first setting is running a little too high (or rich?). I plan to dial it down to 3-2-1 tonight and see what happens.

If all goes well, I think in the end on a Vulcan 900 with the FI2000R, Cobra Air Intake and a 2.5" Exhaust the settings are going to either be 3-2-1 or 2-2-1.

I'm going to give those a try for a while and see how it goes. If I can't get the bike to dial in correctly, I'll just remove the FI2000R and the the Auto Tuner instead. Or better yet, I'll just get the bike Dyno Tuned locally with a Power Commander instead.

·
Registered
15 Posts
BAK
Debaffled pipes
FI2000R
Marbled

4-2-1 and the bike would crackle and pop on decel if the throttle was slightly open.
3-2-1 or 2-2-1 and it seems to run better.

Set it, run for a while, check your plugs, adjust as necessary.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BAK
Debaffled pipes
FI2000R
Marbled

4-2-1 and the bike would crackle and pop on decel if the throttle was slightly open.
3-2-1 or 2-2-1 and it seems to run better.

Set it, run for a while, check your plugs, adjust as necessary.
Yeah, my thoughts exactly! I would hate to pull this unit out and have another one rewired. Whoever installed it did an amazing job. It's nice and neat, all tidy up under the seat..

·
Registered
6 Posts
So by the sounds of it, you just plug this tuner in and there are 3 modes to set? One for idle, one for mid throttle, and one for wide open throttle? I've been looking at different tuners and was wondering how this one worked. I have a vance and hines fuel pak on mine and have been trying for litterally 2 years to get it tuned right. There is something like 40 different modes to set. And there is no way of telling what mode does what. So everytime you need to make an adjustment you have to call vance and hines. And I'm just not happy with it. Would like something that I can adjust myself. Any feed back on this tuner would be great. Thank You

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So by the sounds of it, you just plug this tuner in and there are 3 modes to set? One for idle, one for mid throttle, and one for wide open throttle? I've been looking at different tuners and was wondering how this one worked. I have a vance and hines fuel pak on mine and have been trying for litterally 2 years to get it tuned right. There is something like 40 different modes to set. And there is no way of telling what mode does what. So everytime you need to make an adjustment you have to call vance and hines. And I'm just not happy with it. Would like something that I can adjust myself. Any feed back on this tuner would be great. Thank You
I think you need a Power Commander 5. But you also need some sort of training on how to use it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is that one of those "auto tune" tuners? I want one i can adjust myself to my own preferances.
Power Commander 5 is what all the shops that Dyno Tune bikes use. It's super super complex, a slight change can blow you engine up. But if you're trained on how to use it, you can pretty much tune your bike yourself. Granted you need a dyno though.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Just get it on a dyno.

Is it really that hard to work out?

A couple of runs and you'll be sorted, no more guess work or asking Cobra, just get it on a dyno.

·
Registered
386 Posts
actually, reading the replies,the Cobra is easier to use than the PCV.
You start with the base settings, then just tweak according to how far out you are.

Mines going on next week once my exhausts are fitted, and I'm using the 2000r and an O2 eliminator. Runs better already still with stock exhausts and stock settings.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm using 3-2-1 settings right now. I'll run it for a week or so and see how it goes. I did a quick run last night with those settings and everything seemed fine.

But honestly, I can't really tell a difference between 4-2-0, 4-2-1 and 3-2-1. But since a lot of folks on this forums and the other Vulcan 900 forums are stating that they are very satisfied with 3-2-1 or 2-2-1. I'm just going with the flow and using 3-2-1 for now.

But I think the only way to tell if all is going well is to get it dyno'ed. Not dyno tuned, just get the bike on a dyno and get all the readings and go from there.

I'll see if I can find a dyno around me...stay tuned.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, quick update.

I finally settled on 2-2-1 this past weekend. Bike runs great, pulls hard in every gear. No popping, no gas smell at idle.

I can really tell a difference between 2-2-1 vs anything else I tried before. I'm tempted to lowering the middle (yellow) setting to 1 for 2-1-1 to see how things run. I'll report back in a few days.

p.s. I do have a dyno run planned for the 23rd just to get an idea of how the bike is running. I'll post that up then.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK, so I adjusted the FI2000 to use 2-1-1 for the past few days and I've lost responsiveness. I'm settling back to 2-2-1. I might adjust the last pod to .5 (2-2-.5) and see how that goes, but as of right now, 2-2-1 runs the best with my bike.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey Boston, what made you go from 3-2-1, down to 2-2-1? Was it merely the gas smell at idle?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I did a whole much of searches on this forum and on another forums and a lot of people with the "Big 3" on our bikes stated they has a lot of success with that setting. I tried it, can't hurt right? and it suited my bike and mods nicely.

This weekend I'm planning to try out 2-2-.5 and see how it goes. But I think I'll find out really how the bike is running on the 23rd when I get it dyno'ed.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts