Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this subject has been done to death, I've tried searching some threads and most of them seem to deal with one of these units being used with new pipes and other mods.

I'll also add this is my first proper bike, and that I know absolutely nothing about engines and how to tamper with them, I'm completely useless with a toolset.

My situation, I've just bought a 2009 900 Custom, the previous owner has drilled a series of holes at the back of the stock exhausts, nothing more, he just wanted to make them a bit louder. He then installed the Fi2000, nothing more.

He's told me I need to get the bike put onto a dyno tester to make sure it's set up properly.
Now after talking to a couple of guys online they were both in agreement that I don't need to do that, the Fi2000 doesn't need dyno testing.
But one of them said "Take the unit off the bike" as it's not needed, the other guy said to "leave it on, it's a good bit of kit".

Can anyone on here recommend what I should do? Should I remove the unit? Do I have to have the unit set up correctly?
If I do, what should the little dials on the unit be set to? I don't have the instructions, only have the box. Is there a standard setting for these things?

As far as I'm concerned, the bike runs perfectly, the only thing I've noticed is a bit of popping on deceleration. How would I know if it needs to be altered, what should I be looking for?

Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The Cobra FI2000 "auto tunes" your bike by constantly monitoring your air to fuel ratios and adjusts that for better performance. If you actually have that model there is no need to dyno it or adjust it at all. Lower end programmers allow users to manually set their air to fuel ratios which can be tricky and does require a dyno to properly tune. I have the FI2000 and have been very please by it, however you'll get the most gains from it by installing a big air kit and an aftermarket exhaust. The added airflow of those two combined with proper tuning can give you a pretty healthy bump to your bikes performance. I'm sure you get slight gains from it now but I would be surprised if it was doing much. Even if you don't want new pipes and an air intake though I personally would advise you leaving it on because a lot of users, including me, say it makes their engine run smoother and eliminates things like deceleration popping.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hmmm??? First, I am not an authority on this. I will say I have an Fi2000 but it is NOT like the ones currently on the Cobra website. That said, if you can find your model on the website you can download instructions.

I emailed Cobra and have yet to get a response. But from what I understand-if you have the set up info (Bike model, exhaust type, air breather, etc)-they will tell you how to set it up. From there if you want to modify it is trial and error. I would think that with just some drilled holes-TRIAL AND ERROR is gonna be your route.

As for needing it, I would say yes you do need it. You need to find out what model you have in order to know if you need to tweak and such. They do make one that does all the monitoring and adjustment automatically IF it is connected properly. But they also make one that has to be dialed in. Check their website HERE and check back in here to let us know what ya found.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I agree with pmassey31545. I wasn't aware that there could be other models of the FI2000 so definitely confirm your model number in case it's not the auto tuning one.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Gonna double check mine today because I can't find one like it anywhere. I'll post a pic when I get home.

EDIT: So, just got off the phone with Cobra and the old unit like I have is discontinued. DUH!!! But he did tell me the instructions and set up were the same, just the red 'Pot" does not exist. So, easy peasy.

As to the OP...there are default set up instructions in the manuals online. Wouldn't hurt to look em up and try em out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info gents, I'll check the model number later when I get chance, although I think it's the Fi2000R model..

And I did manage to find the website and download the instructions, it says 4-2-0 is the "Default pot settings".. I'll check the unit later and see what they're set at.

I'll post my findings later.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just checked the settings on the unit, they are set at 4-2-0, is this a standard setting for the bike with stock exhausts?

And do I really need to have the bike dyno'd or tuned as the previous owner advised me?

He said it has to be done as the unit was on a US setting and I'm in Thailand.

All he has done to the bike is drill a series of holes into the exhausts at the back.

·
Registered
67 Posts
lots of people on here have found a 2 - 2 - 1 type setting works best for the vulcan 900. Now altitude and whatnot will play a bit of a role in where yours needs to be but that might be a good place to start.

I wouldn't bother with a dyno if it were me. The change he made in the exhaust isn't too extreme either

Try the "marble" technique as well that might help a bit with your popping

1 - 10 of 10 Posts