Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Morning folks!
Yesterday I took my new ride on it's first commute to work......all was well (albeit chilly @ +2 deg.C) and it ran fine until on the way home my red FI light came on. The distance is about 30 miles.
I did not notice any other indicators in the LCD screen, and the bike appeared to be running fine otherwise. When I got home, I turned the bike off, and immediately started it again (to make sure I didn't kill it.....again)and the FI light went away.
Fluid levels appear OK, no knocks or noises that I could detect.

The manual I downloaded from VN2000 says I can put it in diagnostic mode and count the flashes for an idea what's up, but I'm not entirely sure how to do that. I wouldn't mind peeking to see what it was if possible.

And, in case anyone can magically diagnose from afar, here's what has transpired since I bricked the Power Commander 3 last week:

Got it rebooted and re-installed. Checked the map on it and took the bike for a quick ride. All good.

The map installed was curious: It was for 3" HK Big Straights and a ThunderBox air cleaner. It was also tweaked from the base map. Most of the settings are over the stock ThunderBox map significantly.

My actual configuration is a Kuryakyn Hypercharger with mystery 2 1/2" pipes.The 211-503 map looked closer to that.
For giggles I backed up the installed map, then tried the base ThunderBox and Base Kuryakyn maps and went for some short rides.....The main difference was a significant reduction in decel backfiring, and a much smoother, quieter idle. Before it loped like a HD. I kept the Kuryakyn map for my ride yesterday. Still more than enough giddy-up for me.

I have not been able to check my mileage yet, haven't had the weather to ride far.

Would changing that map possibly cause an issue? Thanx for all the patience, this PC3 stuff is new to me. Appreciate any advice for the noob.......

·
Registered
578 Posts
The manual will tell you how to retrieve the codes.

Ride on, see what happens. Your first map may have been too rich.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It mentions self diagnosis mode 1 by grounding the self diagnosis terminal............that I don't know where to find....
If the weather holds, I'm hoping to ride to Saskatoon (4 hrs)on the 11th, so hopefully I can figure it out before then. I'd hate to have it calf in the middle of Saskatchewan......lol. Not a place you want to be stranded in April.........

·
Registered
578 Posts
It shows you where it's located in the manual. Single wire coming out of a 4pin connector, next to the battery. Very first thing in section 3-36 FUEL SYSTEM (DFI), self diagnosis outline.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanx, I'llpop the covers and check it out when I'm home.........

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
It mentions self diagnosis mode 1 by grounding the self diagnosis terminal............that I don't know where to find....
If the weather holds, I'm hoping to ride to Saskatoon (4 hrs)on the 11th, so hopefully I can figure it out before then. I'd hate to have it calf in the middle of Saskatchewan......lol. Not a place you want to be stranded in April.........
tc,, watts April got to do with it?..

ground wire for codes is under the seat, under the batt cover, just below the end of the gas tank a harness connector with just a bare single white wire with female bullet connector covered in clear plastic. short that to ground, starts the error code sequence. have pen, paper handy. write down the number of red flashes then pause and more flashes.. from there you hafta look up the tables and see wtf issa matta wif yor bichen bike.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tc,, watts April got to do with it?..
I think it's fair to say that April in Saskatchewan Canada (or Alberta, fort that matter) is vastly different than in Texas.........as evidenced by the fact I rode my bike to work yesterday and as of 5 minutes ago there is a snowfall warning on the weather network.....lol. I don't mind riding in cool weather, but I absolutely hate walking in it........

Thanx for all the help, as always. I'll be there, pen in hand, this night or next (providing I'm not shoveling epics now drifts) and Dam, I've deciphered the code, I'm sure it will be followed by another post on the 4um.......
"Ehrmagerd!!!!! Wut do I do now?!?!?":eek:

Dam,I hate being that guy...............:confused:

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I think it's fair to say that April in Saskatchewan Canada (or Alberta, fort that matter) is vastly different than in Texas

"Ehrmagerd!!!!! Dam,I hate being that guy...............:confused:
Erma,, you missed the point.. being stranded in Saskatchewan, anytime.. is just that.. watt has april got to do with it..
and while yor on yor walkabout, say hello to the rest of the 'gerd fambly. ponch

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well Played, PV. Well played. I'd love to come back with a witty counter argument, but as a former resident of the flat-land, I cannot in good conscience argue that.

Attachments

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
how far is it to MooseJaw?.. about this far from its arse

Well Played, PV. Well played. I'd love to come back with a witty counter argument, but as a former resident of the flat-land, I cannot in good conscience argue that.
erm'ies,, sas.kat.chew.on.. once met a fella from Moosejaw. he said it was flatt. really flatt. he asked, "do you know how flatt, it is in Sask'land?" i said i didnt kno. he said, "it so flatt.. one day my dog ran away".. he said, "three days later, I could still see him running!".. thats how flatt it is in Sas.kat.chew.on..
butt here are some pix I gott for you. ponchout

Attachments

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What I'm trying to avoid.......

Attachments

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In the area where the white wire is supposed to be, all I have is a yellow w/ grey marks on it........possible that is it?

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
In the area where the white wire is supposed to be, all I have is a yellow w/ grey marks on it........possible that is it?
since no one is chiming in w/the answer.. its not my v2k anymore.. tomorrow I'll visit my buddy and take a pic of it under the seat..

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Poncho, thanx but I was able to dig through the wiring diagram and I'm pretty sure I have the right one based on yours and DavidR's descriptions. I couldn't get any flashes to show but I want to try again after I make a proper lead. I didn't have a bullet connector and tried a test light to no avail. I'll post my findings when I get it figured out.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Hey Poncho, thanx but I was able to dig through the wiring diagram and I'm pretty sure I have the right one based on yours and DavidR's descriptions. I couldn't get any flashes to show but I want to try again after I make a proper lead. I didn't have a bullet connector and tried a test light to no avail. I'll post my findings when I get it figured out.
shove a short piece of bare wire up inside that female bullet connector. if I remember correct, touching it to ground begins the FI alarm code sequence.. it may be that you have to maintain that lead to ground to complete the sequence.
if there are no alarm codes, I dont think you get any flashes? its been at least 6 yrs since I did that last. poncho

btw, howd U like the pix, i gott them 4 u.. sas'kat'chew'on.. where'd that come from?

·
Registered
232 Posts
I need help.

I just did the resistor mod with a resistor I had on hand that should be fine, we will see once I get my new air filter, etc.

The problem I am having is that I traced an unplugged connector to the oxygen sensor bung on my Powershots. Being a California bike should this thing not be plugged in somewhere? The plug was sitting at the top of the tool box but the insulation is worn pretty much open along the whole wire.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Edit: I may have the answer. I just looked at the receipts for the PC3 that the previous owner had installed. Included is an O2 sensor eliminator. Now I am wondering why the sensor with the wiring is still plugged into the pipe and not plugged? I hate a lazy installation. When it,s warmer I'll see if a plug is in the V&H box with the stock pipe.

The connection is under the tank?

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I need help. Being a California bike should this thing not be plugged in somewhere?
The plug was sitting at the top of the tool box but the insulation is worn pretty much open along the whole wire. Any thoughts are welcome.
rdd,, pix would help immensely,, butt anything w/Kalifornicator origins is not likely plugged in.. to something this side of the outer limits.. jus saying, dont drink the water. poncho

·
Registered
220 Posts
003.jpg

Yellow wire in center of pic is self diagnosis lead.

Just use a meter lead with a banana plug that plugs into meter. Ground the pointy end to battery negative post.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanx, Izzy. I believe that's what I found then. I'll fab up a proper test lead and give it another shot.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I know this has been a dead thread for a while, but I was finally able to get some riding in and sure enough the FI light (and the display hows FI as well) lit up. I went so far as to keep it idling with the light on until I had everything ready, then I shut it off, turned it back on and followed the self diagnosis procedure in the manual. Good connection, hold for 2 seconds then quickly reset the ground and leave it there(that's how I interpreted the instructions).
Nada. Zip. Just FI on the display and no blinks.
OUt of curiosity, I have the fuel cap whistle thing happening......could that cause it? (Kinda like the check engine light on your car when the cap isn't tightened fully......)
The bike runs just fine, but I'm leary of whatever this is stranding me somewhere.......

1 - 20 of 20 Posts