Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking to narrow a problem with a friends 2011 900 Classic LT. The FI light has been on for a while I guess and she's just telling me about it on a poker run. So here what I got...The FI lights on and it seems like it's missing off the back cylinder. It has 6000 miles on the bike and the first thing I'm thinking is the rear plug is bad but will a bad plug set out the FI light or do you think it's a vacuum line off? I use to have a 900 and never had this problem, I just wanted some opinions on what it could be before I tear into it, she does have new plugs so I'm changing them regardless the problem.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Not sure about the 9s, but the 1700s will let you get a trouble code for the reason the light is on. This will make it much simpler to fix the issue. Once you think you have it fixed, disconnect the battery for a couple minutes to clear the codes, then see if it does it again.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
1. Disconnecting battery will not clear neither current nor historical codes.
2. You will have to go into diagnostic mode and retrieve the error code(s).
3. Guessing at a problem like this never gets one anywhere.
4. I do not recommend riding with the FI light on.
5. If you want to try and fix the problem, post back.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So how do you get into the diagnostic mode? And the battery has been recently changed within the last week so it has been unpluged. Today im going to take a look at it, change the plug and look for any vacuum that could be off or damaged in any way. She doesn't take care of the bike like she should and it pisses me off!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
5. If you want to try and fix the problem, post back.[/QUOTE]

Don't wanna sound like a smart ass and I'm sorry but if I didn't wanna fix the problem for her I wouldn't have posted in the first place.

Mean while I did change the plugs and it is running better but the light is still on Like i figured it would be. I looked for any vacuum line that might of came off but didn't fined anything. So how do I get into the codes and is there a way to reset them or will they go off when it's fixed?

Thanks!

·
BOTM Winner, August 2013
202 Posts
There's a connection on the back of the air filter, if it's not in it will light up. It's by the idle adjustment. I forgot to connect it once and it lit up right away.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
To retrieve current error code:

1. Around the tool box, there should be an open ended yellow wire.
2. Insert a jumper wire long enough to reach battery ground.
3. Turn on key.
4. Ground yellow jumper wire to battery negative.
5. FI light will blink.
6. Here is the tricky part. The error codes are two digits, eg. 21, 32, etc.
We will use 32 for an example. The FI light will blink the tens unit first and they will be longer blinks, then the units digit next and they will be shorter blinks. Now using the 32 as an example, it will be 3 longer blinks, rest and then 2 shorter blinks and then rest. If there is only one code stored, it will repeat over and over. If there is more than one code, they will follow the first one until all have been dumped.
For example, if you had a 32 AND a 12, it will start with the lowest numerical code first, so you would see long blink (1), rest, two short blinks (2) rest, three long blinks (3) and two short blinks (2). Then it will repeat.
When all of the codes have been retrieved, key off, remove jumper.

Post back with codes.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
48 Posts
There's a connection on the back of the air filter, if it's not in it will light up. It's by the idle adjustment. I forgot to connect it once and it lit up right away.
I broke this sensor when I first changed out my air filter intake and the FI light came on until I replaced the sensor. I think the sensor cost about $18. Very easy to replace.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 9 of 9 Posts