Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have notice my FI light coming on after the bike is already started.
It has happened the past 2 times I have ridden it.
Here was the scenario both time

Started the bike, let it run for 30 seconds
Jump on the bike, get settled in and it turns on, give it a little gas and it goes off and stays off

is the the start of a problem or just something that happens from time to time?

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
I found when my idle speed was a bit too low the FI light would come on at idle and turn off with a little throttle. I adjusted my idle speed up a hair and it hasn't done it since

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I found when my idle speed was a bit too low the FI light would come on at idle and turn off with a little throttle. I adjusted my idle speed up a hair and it hasn't done it since
Very common. People are trying to make the bike idle low like some other motorcycle brands and models. This bike isn't one of those.

Reactions: Biebs

·
BOTM Winner, July 2016
52 Posts
a friend of mine had this happen intermittently at stop lights. when he had dealership diagnose it it was low idle. the adjustment knob is on the front of the air intake box. clock wise higher idle, counter clock wise lower.

·
Registered
166 Posts
just got in from a ride and my FI light doing the same thing. cut it off in the garage and searched the forum for the problem. went out and cranked the bike and the light is now not on. idle it up just hair, don't know the rpms, after shorties and PC3 with stock air cleaner. I bought the bike this way, do they make a multi function gauge that would show rpms and possibly what gear you are in? why don't most newer bikes not have a tach?

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
If you have an old tach lying around, just pop the ignition cover and temporarily wire it up. That's what I did to set my idle. Otherwise, just bring it up. The best way I can think to describe it is that it should idle more like a muscle car than a big twin motorcycle. It definitely shouldn't be so slow that you have distinct 'firing' on each cylinder, but more a sound of, well, an engine running!

It's better for the bike anyway. The other day I was behind a guy on an H-D who had his idle real low. I know this is blasphemy but I think H-D has the best sounding engines out there. With his idle way way low, it sounded like crap. It sounded like something was about to fall apart. As soon as the light turned green, he floored it. With the idle that low, there's no way there was any oil being pumped up to the top end. We sat there plenty long enough for it to drain down. I hope that guy doesn't ride a lot, or he's going to be REALLY disappointed when he needs his top end rebuilt after 25k miles! (Or sooner)

It's not a long stroke motor, it's not a big V-Twin. It just isn't going to lumber.

This is all assuming a stock bike though? When you start adding fuel processors, etc., it gets really messy.

·
Registered
166 Posts
idled up and my FI light went out and I don't get nearly the amount of popping when I let off the throttle. thanks to this forum!

·
Registered
2008 Vulcan 900 Custom, Hard Krome exhaust
139 Posts
Dug this post up a few years later. Just got a Vulcan and had the FI LED pop on now and then. Thanks for the help with the idle adjustment!

CMOS

1 - 9 of 9 Posts