Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have a 2012 vn900 custom. When riding after around 15 to mins the FI light comes on. Bikes seems to run ok. When I stop for 5, turn it off the light goes out, then on again after 15 mins riding. I've tried to pull the code but it doesn't show anything when I ground the wire? Any advice please?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Does it come on when riding, or just at an idle?

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When riding. I've done some investigations and found the coil connections covered in crud, cleaned up and I'll take it for a spin today to see if it's sorted.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have managed to pull the codes, 94 and 95 coming up? Anyone any ideas. It does have an aftermarket exhaust with the plugs fitted into the 02 sensors. Seems to run ok though. Like this when I bought it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Replaced the dummies but light still coming on, not checked the wiring yet. Gunna see what codes it throws up this time. When out riding, the light came on, I turned the bike off 30 secs then back on, the light had gone out but reappeared after 10 minutes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've now cleaned all electrical connections Including ecu. Checked resistance on throttle sensor, all ok. FI light returns. New dummies on o2 sensor connectors. Running out of ideas.

·
Registered
90 Posts
13 Inlet air temperature sensor malfunction,wiring open or short

62 throttle valve actuator malfunction, wiring open or short.

94 Oxygen sensor #1 malfunction, wiring open or short

95 Oxygen sensor #2 malfunction, wiring open or short

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep got that, I've just tested the resistance on the air temp sensor and it's out. Ordered new one today. Hopefully the other codes are historical. ..........yeah, right 🤣

·
Registered
90 Posts
GIGO
Old pc term, means Garbage in? Garbage out!

The ECU needs base information to operate properly. With no air temp sensor?

GIGO

·
Registered
415 Posts
Sorry. Why is your bike running with dummy O2 sensors? Did your bike originally have functioning O2 sensors? Will your current exhaust system accept functioning O2 sensors? If I understand this correctly, if you replaced functioning O2 sensors with dummies, the voltage output of the O2 dummies (depending on design and original circuitry), will read a constant voltage to the ECU. Several minutes after startup, the ECU will read the steady voltage as a fault (producing the error codes) and then revert to a standard fuel map. That fuel map is most likely the same one most of us VN900 owners use, without O2 sensors. The other 2 error codes most likely result from the ECU trying to get good readings from the dummy O2 sensors. This should be normal for your bike in it's current condition.

So how to avoid the errors codes? Get working O2 sensors into your current exhaust system, if it will accept them. Or, get another ECU that doesn't use O2 sensors. Or, you could get an Ivan ECU flash that eliminates the O2 sensor function. Or you could just leave your bike as is, it should run fine even with the error codes, though you lose some diagnostic features.

You could also double check to make sure the dummy O2 sensors are the correct ones for your bike.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It has an after market exhaust with no where for 02 sensors to go. But I hear what you say and it makes sense. I was Going to put the stock exhaust back on but I cannot find the rear bracket. I might source one and try it any way. I'd love to get the flash done but I'm in the UK.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts