Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I was riding home today from a friends house and all of a sudden the bike started losing power and wouldn't let me go any faster. I looked down and the FI light was red so I pulled off to a side road and turned the bike off. I fired it right back up and drove away with no issues. Is this a know issue or what could have caused this to happen?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Hey guys. I was riding home today from a friends house and all of a sudden the bike started losing power and wouldn't let me go any faster. I looked down and the FI light was red so I pulled off to a side road and turned the bike off. I fired it right back up and drove away with no issues. Is this a know issue or what could have caused this to happen?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
The FI warning light is telling you that one of the sensors, secondary air system, subthrottle or ignition coils malfunctioned. The event has been saved in your ECU and even though the FI light is now off you can retrieve the code that will tell you what went wrong. If you're not familiar with working on motorcycles and don't have a shop manual, I suggest taking it back to the dealer and they can retrieve the code for you and tell you what it means.
You didn't post whether you have a PowerCommander III on board. If you do then there's a good chance the wire connections are causing you an intermittent problem.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a 2005 V2K that did the same thing three times. The third time the problem never cleared. The faulty part was the subthrottle actuator. When it stuck it was acting like it had hit the rev limiter (regardless of what my RPMs were). You problem sounds very much like the one I had. The service manual says not to work on these, but my mechanic took it apart and cleaned it and all was good.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not really knowledgable about the mechanics of the bike. I do know that I have the Cobra exhaust and there is this thing in there that has three lights (red, yellow and green) and when you turn it on it "dials in" or something like that. It's right under the seat. Not sure if this could have been the issue or not.

Sorry guys, bare with me as I'm trying to learn the workings of my bike.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I'm not really knowledgable about the mechanics of the bike. I do know that I have the Cobra exhaust and there is this thing in there that has three lights (red, yellow and green) and when you turn it on it "dials in" or something like that. It's right under the seat. Not sure if this could have been the issue or not.

Sorry guys, bare with me as I'm trying to learn the workings of my bike.
It sounds like you have one of the basic Cobra fuel managers. I would have your shop determine what the code is that's now stored in the ECU and go from there. There are many components that will set off the FI light so this has to be the first step. Don't condemn the Cobra fuel manager quite yet.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
There's no need to speculate about random components or potential failures even if someone else with similar symptoms had the issue.

When it comes to an FI light, you're in luck, because your bike will actually tell you EXACTLY what is wrong. Have the code pulled and determine what the issue is. If you have a shop manual, it'll tell you how to do it yourself. Once you've determined the failing component, you can go from there. Don't start unplugging stuff just yet.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's going in the shop for Spring maintenance and I'll have them check it there and see what's going on while it's in there. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Lights... sounds like the dobeck tuner I have. I like it a lot. More adjustability than the Cobra, and made here in the USA to boot!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts