Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have my FI 2000R installed correctly, I tried the setup at 2-2-1 now I read online here about the dial in procedure specifically the first pot, when I turn my first pot at engine warm idle, nothing happens on the bike, I read that the dial in is to turn the pot till your idle goes up to like 2000 then dial it back to the nice 950, mine doesnt change when I adjust it. I've turned it all the way to 9 and the engine sits at my 950 rpm I set with the idle screw before I installed the FI

should I be getting any change? I hit the throttle and the lights on the FI come on as they are supposed to, twist and yellow, max and red comes up. it initializes properly. I change the last 2 pots and I can sense the difference in riding. its the first one that seems to do nothing.

I'm wondering if there is something wrong with it or not at this point. so any tests or ideas would be welcome

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm no help. Set mine 2 2 1, got on, started riding. All good. You might be over analyzing. Others will likely disagree with me!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
quite possible. mostly I'm just curious to ensure it's not causing other issues i seem to be noticing thats all.

(honestly I swear I am that one person that gets every single defective thing ever made :p )

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm no help. Set mine 2 2 1, got on, started riding. All good. You might be over analyzing. Others will likely disagree with me!
oh.. I found that setting mine to 2-3-1 gave a nicer roll on and pull :)

happy riding :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Fi2000R

If in doubt, or wanting to try more tweaking, check out the cobrausa.com site. It has install and adjusting info that might help. 2-2-1 works for me too. V&H slash cuts and A.N. big sucker on my '06 900 classic.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Ok I have my FI 2000R installed correctly, I tried the setup at 2-2-1 now I read online here about the dial in procedure specifically the first pot, when I turn my first pot at engine warm idle, nothing happens on the bike, I read that the dial in is to turn the pot till your idle goes up to like 2000 then dial it back to the nice 950, mine doesnt change when I adjust it. I've turned it all the way to 9 and the engine sits at my 950 rpm I set with the idle screw before I installed the FI

should I be getting any change? I hit the throttle and the lights on the FI come on as they are supposed to, twist and yellow, max and red comes up. it initializes properly. I change the last 2 pots and I can sense the difference in riding. its the first one that seems to do nothing.

I'm wondering if there is something wrong with it or not at this point. so any tests or ideas would be welcome
I was directed to set the FI2000(r) as follows
Zero all three pots

Warm bike up completely

Adjust idle to maintain 2000rpm (with the black idle screw)
Add some of the first pot 1/2 a number at a time allowing a few moments to stabilize, Keep adding until idle starts to fall off. Back off to previous point.Re-adjust the idle to normal 1000+/-50rpm. DONE:D

In a safe location, while in 3rd gear at low speed(20-25mph) twist the throttle at least half way, but not more than 2/3rds.Keep adding more of the second pot 1/2 at a time until throttle response does not improve. readjust to previous point. DONE:D

In a safe location, in 4th gear WOT runs:eek: add 1/2 at a time the 3rd pot until there is no improvement, re-adjust to previous point. Done:D

This has always worked for me, through a number of baffle/end pipe tests.
I know it is a long and labor intensive process, but it works. Good from sea level to 5000ft, may get a little fat on long inclines at alt.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was directed to set the FI2000(r) as follows
Zero all three pots

Warm bike up completely

Adjust idle to maintain 2000rpm (with the black idle screw)
Add some of the first pot 1/2 a number at a time allowing a few moments to stabilize, Keep adding until idle starts to fall off. Back off to previous point.Re-adjust the idle to normal 1000+/-50rpm. DONE:D

In a safe location, while in 3rd gear at low speed(20-25mph) twist the throttle at least half way, but not more than 2/3rds.Keep adding more of the second pot 1/2 at a time until throttle response does not improve. readjust to previous point. DONE:D

In a safe location, in 4th gear WOT runs:eek: add 1/2 at a time the 3rd pot until there is no improvement, re-adjust to previous point. Done:D

This has always worked for me, through a number of baffle/end pipe tests.
I know it is a long and labor intensive process, but it works. Good from sea level to 5000ft, may get a little fat on long inclines at alt.

Hope this helps

I will be trying this this weekend. I had previously emailed cobra with my complete configuration (v&H exhaust, BAK etc), here's what they said. It's set to 4-2-0 from the factory for your bike. thank you.

very helpful.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Good Luck rkx
Just got back form a 1200mile run over the weekend in Cascades Mts. in Central and E. Washington. No issues with the settings or bike. Best leg 58mpg, worst leg 48, avg. 51mpg. Speeds mostly 65-75mph, 800 miles of 2k-4k alt. I do not have a Big air kit, just a K&N drop in w/redneck air box. K&N says the filter will flow 137 cfm, motor needs 119cfm tops.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good Luck rkx
Just got back form a 1200mile run over the weekend in Cascades Mts. in Central and E. Washington. No issues with the settings or bike. Best leg 58mpg, worst leg 48, avg. 51mpg. Speeds mostly 65-75mph, 800 miles of 2k-4k alt. I do not have a Big air kit, just a K&N drop in w/redneck air box. K&N says the filter will flow 137 cfm, motor needs 119cfm tops.
what setting did you ultimately end up with for that?

see I don't even get that kind of mileage now with the bike new at 3000k I'm wondering if I need to further alter my riding style. Used to sport bikes... hmm.

·
Registered
729 Posts
rkx
I am currently set at 3.5-2-1.5 That is if my CRS has not kicked in. I will dbl.check later today. I have them written down, depending on baffle/tip that I am running.

Well they are not a sportbike, but they are happy in the 4-5k rpm range. I believe top torque near 4k top HP near 6k, and they do have a rev. limiter near7.5-8k. The power does drop off before hitting it. I am a firm believer in testing top rpm 1-2 times a year:)
that and tire pressure near max on the side wall.

Good Luck with your work up.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
rkx
I am currently set at 3.5-2-1.5 That is if my CRS has not kicked in. I will dbl.check later today. I have them written down, depending on baffle/tip that I am running.

Well they are not a sportbike, but they are happy in the 4-5k rpm range. I believe top torque near 4k top HP near 6k, and they do have a rev. limiter near7.5-8k. The power does drop off before hitting it. I am a firm believer in testing top rpm 1-2 times a year:)
that and tire pressure near max on the side wall.

Good Luck with your work up.
hmm i was keeping the revs down to see what the best mileage I can get... hmm.

I did my work up this morning, 4-3-1.5ish so far is what i'm at. I have yet to hit the limiters limit to have the cutoff trip tho. with this exhaust I would sound like a banshee with pms...!

I have a set of hard kore quiet baffles coming from smartpartz (currently leaving LAX tonight :) so I will get a bit of my midrange punch back with the extra backpressure mid rev range)

thanks for your numbers they help greatly

·
Registered
729 Posts
You are most welcome.

Dbl-checked the numbers on the controller. 3.5-2.1.5 as posted earlier.

I "hear" you on the baffle frustration. I experimented with a half dozen pro-types before settling on my current set up. Before that the factory Cobra 2-1's were to over the top for any length of time or distance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts