Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a 900 without windshield my helmet starts to ride up at the front when 70mph +. It is bloody annoying. The normal fit is snug & it doesn't wobble on my head so I don't think it is too big. Brand is XSpeed (fairly cheap compared to most).
Is this a common thing with FF helmets & cruisers because of the riding position or should I maybe look at a new helmet from another brand?
Wind noise is also pretty high so maybe that's another reason to change over.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have some what the same issue with mine and it kind of makes my neck hurt so I dont even wear it anymore but yes I do think it is a some what common issue

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
Never been an issue with me. A properly designed and fitted full face helmet should cut through the air with little turbulence, and certainly shouldn't be riding up. My current helmet is also quieter than my last one, which still wasn't bad. I'm currently using a Shoei Neotec which is a modular design.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
According to Revzilla's videos about helmets, that some are made for different riding positions. I have an AFX-90 (another cheaper one) and I do not have that problem. With the old M2R (MR-25) helmet I had, I did and that is what made me start wearing my skid lid all the time. I find the videos interesting on their site, they go in to the different shapes of the inside and outside of the helmet, show you how to take them apart and so on.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
The helmet should not ride up at those speeds if fit and type are correct.

My helmet is a bell revolver and in my opinion, amplifies noise. It works well at high speeds but requires ear plugs. I don't need plugs with my open face and with debaffled pipes and wind noise. Seems the ff focuses noises toward the ears. It's crazy!

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
My Grandson has a similar thing happen when he rides our KZ650C3 that doesn't happen on our Hayabusa. It may be related to the riders head position relative to the bike aerodynamics.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I don't ride without a windshield anymore but I have. I've also ridden other non-windshield cruisers at highway speeds and not had that issue.

A couple of things;

1) Fit. A lot of people get this wrong. It needs to be snug. When you turn the helmet left and right, it should take your cheeks with it! Not so tight that it cuts off circulation, but if it's able to 'slide around' without pulling on your skin; it's too lose. Also; there are different helmet shapes as well as sizes. If there are gaps or pressure spots; you need a different brand.

2) Brand. Different brands are meant for different types of riding. You may have to try on some different ones! Not buy online; but try on.

3) Windshield! For the cost of another helmet, a Windshield may very well cure your issues. I won't ride without one anymore! Really increases comfort on a long ride.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I don't ride without a windshield anymore but I have. I've also ridden other non-windshield cruisers at highway speeds and not had that issue.

A couple of things;

1) Fit. A lot of people get this wrong. It needs to be snug. When you turn the helmet left and right, it should take your cheeks with it! Not so tight that it cuts off circulation, but if it's able to 'slide around' without pulling on your skin; it's too lose. Also; there are different helmet shapes as well as sizes. If there are gaps or pressure spots; you need a different brand.

2) Brand. Different brands are meant for different types of riding. You may have to try on some different ones! Not buy online; but try on.

3) Windshield! For the cost of another helmet, a Windshield may very well cure your issues. I won't ride without one anymore! Really increases comfort on a long ride.
All so true. And I ended up with lowers to stop the final bit of buffeting that the windshield didn't quite cure. I also wear a revolver and I think the little extra forward weight helps when I get on the 650 or the Busa. My 800 is now so wind free that I put a Honda Gold Wing Air vent in my Memphis Shades windscreen for those really hot days. It's actually a 4 position vent with the positions 2,3 & 4 directing air back to me whereas position 1 never shuts off the air but directs a limited amount up the back side of the windshield which I believe also stops some of the buffeting air coming over the top of the windscreen. (I got the idea from another person on here!)

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
But on the other side of things, like bear said, if you add a windshield you may have to add lowers on top of it. Right now I have been wearing a half helmet with my windshield and FF with out. I need to try a set of lowers because I gut such and updraft from under the windshield it blows up my FF helmet and causes problems at speeds of around 40 and up.

·
Registered
357 Posts
One thing you can try which helped me also see the speedo more with my FF.

Tilt the helmet forward so the upper part of the visor is just above your eyebrows. This moves the chin of the helmet down and helps with highway speeds when I wear mine.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I just got a ff helmet and have no head buffeting issues, even at excessive speeds. My old 3/4 helmet with no shield was terrible to the point that I quit wearing it altogether. Not good. I didn't want a windshield on my bike, so I got one for my face. It's a $140 HJC, but it works very well for me. I find that I enjoy riding with it on more than riding without it. (thanks Old Bear) :D

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
I just got a ff helmet and have no head buffeting issues, even at excessive speeds. My old 3/4 helmet with no shield was terrible to the point that I quit wearing it altogether. Not good. I didn't want a windshield on my bike, so I got one for my face. It's a $140 HJC, but it works very well for me. I find that I enjoy riding with it on more than riding without it. (thanks Old Bear) :D
Glad to be of assistance! While bugs in the teeth makes for a funny commercial, it ain't very fun in real life! And it isn't about spending money, but rather spending time to find what works for you. See you on the road! :good:

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll probably keep it until I get another bike in a year or so which will probs have a shield. My theory is that my riding position with a backrest is a bit more chin up, so the air comes up and under your chin a bit more causing upwards pressure. A different brand could well make a difference but it's a bit hard testing to check (you have to borrow the helmets & then head out of town to open up the throttle).

·
Registered
221 Posts
I've never had to use it, but my helmet (HJC) has a lock on it to keep the visor down if needed. After looking at the bug splatter on the shield after extensive riding, I cannot imagine riding without a FF.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a full face Bilt (from Cycle gear chain). It's fairly cheap but they claim is just as safe. On highway on my 500 I get to 70 and it feels like someone is pulling my head up - that is if I sit straight. The helmet is fit to not move on my face, but the annoyance is there. I basically have to bend down as if I'm riding a sports bike to feel more comfortable.

Also when I look before I change lanes at 70+ it's hard to turn my head back to forward, since the wind is pushing against the side of my helmet (and thus my face). Very weird.

I will try windshield someday, but I definitely like the look without one better.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Head shape and helmet quality play a big part in whether your helmet works as it should. This site http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/head-shapes/motorcycle-helmet-head-shapes.htm gives a good explanation of the different head shapes and their reviews usually include what shape head the helmet was designed to fit.

I had to go with a modular ff because the standard ff helmets that fit after they were on my head felt like they were going to pull the sides of my head off every time I took them on and off.

It also seems that the cheaper the helmet the rounder your head needs to be to fit them.

·
Registered
87 Posts
It was explained to me that not all ff helmets are equal and some are for different riding positions. Such as the Shoei RF1100 and the Qwest. The Shoei Qwest is better for an upright riding position and the RF1100 is better for more of a sport touring as you can see on Helmet City's website.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts