Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ferreus industries manufactures stainless steel covers for both cars and motorcycles. The products look gorgeous so I decided to buy a radiator cover and rectifier cover for my 2008 Vulcan 900 custom. When receiving the product it had a protective film on the polished side which was great. Way to protect the finish guys. Both pieces appeared to be cut from stainless sheet metal either by plasma Cnc or water jet machine. Which is a perfectly valid method for manufacturing these products. However all the edges were sharp and has burrs like they got lazy. This makes cleaning the film residue very difficult. Not only that but if you are like me and keep your bike as clean and polished as possible it will make it very difficult to use a microfiber cloth since it will do nothing but grab the fibers and hinder your efforts of getting a good clean surface and shine. On these other hand since this is just polished stainless and not chrome you could debur the edges yourself. I would recommend using a rotobur. It’s a cheap affective tool I use as a machinist that allows you to debur around contours and various shapes. Now this tool is not dummy proof and does require some skill and practice to use it effectively. However it will provide a better clean smooth debur rather than using a small file. Not only that but will accomplish the task in a fraction of the time. Now you maybe be thinking that this doesn’t sound so bad. And your sort of right. The product looks great and I got it on sale on amazon which didn’t make me too butt hurt since it was half off what they advertise on their site. So I don’t mind putting in the extra work given the price.

There site however has a large arrangement of various styles and finishes from blacks to reds and polished surfaces and much more. I did email them directly in attempts to inform them of my experience in hopes they would move forward in a way that would greatly increase their products and very little effort. I would take what I say to heart and give them a look and decide for yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We have a scrap barrel at work that’s labeled non ferrous stainless. Anything stainless that is ferrous gets thrown with regular steel since it’s generally of lower quality and isn’t worth much more than steel is per lb.

·
Registered
37 Posts
They do nice work. I want to contact them and see if they would do custom work if I provided the artwork. Anyone know of any place that will do that?

·
Registered
171 Posts
We have a scrap barrel at work that’s labeled non ferrous stainless. Anything stainless that is ferrous gets thrown with regular steel since it’s generally of lower quality and isn’t worth much more than steel is per lb.

I'm an outside buyer for a scrap metal recycling company.

400 series stainless is basically just steel and chrome, without any nickel... technically it's still nonferrous, despite being damn near as magnetic as regular ass steel (aka ferritic stainless), but the value is so low we do typically just buy it as steel scrap. If someone has a large quantity of 400 grade, then it might be purchased as that though.

Pro-tip, 316 is worth more than 304 because of the molybdenum they add to the 316 alloy. You guys should separate that out too...its worth 10-20 cents per lb more, if you can actually segregate it out from any 304.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm an outside buyer for a scrap metal recycling company.

400 series stainless is basically just steel and chrome, without any nickel... technically it's still nonferrous, despite being damn near as magnetic as regular ass steel (aka ferritic stainless), but the value is so low we do typically just buy it as steel scrap. If someone has a large quantity of 400 grade, then it might be purchased as that though.

Pro-tip, 316 is worth more than 304 because of the molybdenum they add to the 316 alloy. You guys should separate that out too...its worth 10-20 cents per lb more, if you can actually segregate it out from any 304.

Solid scrap we don’t generate a lot of that. However machined chips all get separated by what they are whether it’s 316ss, 17-4, 255ss, hastealloy, etc

1 - 9 of 9 Posts