Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a crack in my rear fender. Whats the best way to repair this? Would two ton epoxy hold. Its a 900 classic and the crack is in the wheel well edge.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
Do a search on youtube for welding plastic. Since these fenders are plastic that's about the only way to "repair" them when cracked. But be prepared to repaint them after the repair.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,856 Posts
I had a crack in mine as well. A friend gave me a tube of plastic weld. It held for awhile but not long plus you still see where it's cracked. I checked around and the cheapest place a found was the dealer. Brand new rear fender already painted in my color ready to put on. 200 bucks out the door.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
Plastic weld works pretty good if you mix it right, sand it down afterwards, reinforce it with fiberglass from behind, and then repaint it. A bit of work but more economical than a new fender, if cost is an issue. If you wanted to save some cash and do it this way, you could also instead of painting the fender to match after repair, plasti-dip the bike's main colored pieces. Then when you get the funds for a new, OEM color matched fender, peel off the dip from the remaining pieces and viola, back to normal. Just a thought :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Might want to try using a soldering iron from the underside. Have to go slow and be careful not to melt a hole right through. It can do the job. Best suggestion is to check out YouTube like DoomCrewInc stated.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. Here was my plan. I found some epoxy specifically made for abs plastic. So I am going to scuff up each side of the crack and epoxy it, as well as sand the inside of the fender then slap some gorilla tape over the crack on the inside. If it doesn't hold I found a fender on ebay for $125.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Here was my plan. I found some epoxy specifically made for abs plastic. So I am going to scuff up each side of the crack and epoxy it, as well as sand the inside of the fender then slap some gorilla tape over the crack on the inside. If it doesn't hold I found a fender on ebay for $125.
I wouldn't waste your time with epoxy. It's not flexible and will never stick. It has to be plastic welded with an actual plastic welder. That's the only way to repair abs plastic.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
I wouldn't waste your time with epoxy. It's not flexible and will never stick. It has to be plastic welded with an actual plastic welder. That's the only way to repair abs plastic.
Plastic Weld epoxy would work fine if the surfaces were prepared properly and the epoxy is mixed properly. It's not as good as actual plastic welding obviously, but depending on where the crack is and how bad it is would determine if ultra flexibility is required. If epoxy is used I would suggest reinforcing the back with fiberglass instead of the "gorilla tape" tho. I still stand behind my initial comment that plastic welding is the best option for repair, second to complete replacement, with epoxy and fiberglass reinforcement being the 3rd choice.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok just wanted to give everyone an update and cheap fix if this happens to them. I ended up going to Home Depot and getting Oatey ABS cement (may have to order it depending on building codes in your area).
Now for the steps I used.
Clean the fender with soap and water then dry
Clean both sides of the crack and backside of fender with acetate.
Apply ABS cement to both sides of the crack
Apply cement over crack on backside of the fender.
Clean any excess cement up with a acetate damped shop towel.
Let it set
Now she's good as new.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Ok just wanted to give everyone an update and cheap fix if this happens to them. I ended up going to Home Depot and getting Oatey ABS cement (may have to order it depending on building codes in your area).
Now for the steps I used.
Clean the fender with soap and water then dry
Clean both sides of the crack and backside of fender with acetate.
Apply ABS cement to both sides of the crack
Apply cement over crack on backside of the fender.
Clean any excess cement up with a acetate damped shop towel.
Let it set
Now she's good as new.
Lets us know how it holds up over time/miles. It could be one more thing in the tool kit.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Black and silver if your asking me. The fender is fixed so Im good to go. Thanks for the offer though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts