Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to change out my grab bars for some bars that will shorten my reach. I am only 5'4" and don't have long arms. I would like to be able to relax more on my bike rather than being stretched out for the entire ride.

First, can someone tell me what size the stock bars are on the Vulcan 900 Custom 1" or 7/8" ?? I would like some mid-range quality bars. Not looking for the cheapest nor the most expensive.

Also, any suggestions for new pull back bars? Can anyone explain the various measurements? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

·
Registered
68 Posts
heres a lil

That i know. Bars are 1 in. I got a set of 2 in. Risers and they helped bring back the bars for me. Was easy install. Any didnt have to buy new cables or even reroute any. If you just use such as broomstick? While sitting on bike raise stick or whatever 2 in and at same angle bars are. Above bars and see if this feels any more comfortable? I got my risers on ebay for about 15$. Just an idea for you.

·
Banned
1,493 Posts
I have 1 inch bars on my 04 1500 and bought scootworks 4x1 Phat2 risers, I'm 5'7 and the risers helped a lot to move the stock grips back to where the reach gives a bend in my elbows, you want a slight bend in the elbows so I would consider the risers

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you get new bars you"ll prob need 900 classic style risers also. The custom does not have risers and uses different bars than the classic.

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you get new bars you"ll prob need 900 classic style risers also. The custom does not have risers and uses different bars than the classic.
Good point. I wasnt aware the custom was different from the classic with handlebar setup! Nice catch!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This website is helpful. Now I can make a comparison between what I hve and what I may decide to use going forward. Thanks!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That i know. Bars are 1 in. I got a set of 2 in. Risers and they helped bring back the bars for me. Was easy install. Any didnt have to buy new cables or even reroute any. If you just use such as broomstick? While sitting on bike raise stick or whatever 2 in and at same angle bars are. Above bars and see if this feels any more comfortable? I got my risers on ebay for about 15$. Just an idea for you.
Thanks. Knowing that they are 1" is a huge help. Thanks to EVERYONE for your advice, suggestions and input!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can you post a pic of where your handlebars mount to.? And showing the bars and where they mount.
I will try to get some pics posted this weekend. I've been having problems getting photos posted. I'm just not used to this site. You would think I was computer iliterate (sp?), but I'm not. I will get with the program :eek: .

·
Registered
77 Posts
like you............i have a 900 custom as well and can understand what you're saying about the stretched out feeling. I ended up buying some 2 inch risers made by scootworks from member classifieds here for 20 bucks. It made all the difference in the world as far as riding comfort for me.

Installation is like 5 minutes or so...............be sure and use a towel or something to protect your gas tank and polished aluminum.

Before my risers, I felt like I was folded into a V to ride. Now, it's more like an L which is really comfortable and also makes you feel more confident in controlling the bike.

http://www.scootworks.com/shop.cgi/page=partskawhandle.htm/SID=PUT_SID_HERE

Scroll down the page as the risers for the 900 classic and 900 custom ARE different and will not interchange.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes you can put risers on the 900 custom, but like Rick50 said they are different than on most other bikes. Your mounting studs are actually part of the handlebars and the risers screw onto the studs then the whole thing is bolted to the triple tree. Most of the risers raise the bars up more than back, but that link for those on ebay bring the bars back to you more than raise them up.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Was looking back at this site and came across your response. This will be very helpful. Thanks for the charts. The comparison charts will no doubt make it clearer to purchase new bars!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts