Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully I can explain this correctly.

I notice that when I hold the clutch in on first gear (engine off), I feel some 'mechanical' resistance as if the clutch plates are not 'squeezed in' all the way. I first noticed this when the engine is off and I tried to just put it on first gear so the bike doesn't accidentally roll similar to a car with a manual transmission.

I was assuming that when you squeeze and hold the clutch in the rear wheel should be free just as if it were in neutral.

Do I need to adjust the clutch cable? Or is this normal?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also when the engine is running and on first gear, the bike doesn't lurch or move forward until I start to let out the clutch. So it seems normal when I accelerate.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I won't say it's normal because I'm not an expert, but my'07 Custom has always felt like the clutch is slightly engaged when the lever's pulled all the way in. It's harder to push around using the clutch than it is in neutral. I think it has to do with the fact that it's a wet clutch, but I don't know exactly. I will say this: if I start the bike in first gear I feel a soft surge forward when the engine starts to roll. But NOT if I roll the bike forward or back before I hit the starter. I'm only talking about 5 or 6 inches of road here, not pushing it down the driveway. My best guess is that the plates stay so close that the oil sticks them together. Once that oil-bond is broken everything spins freely.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
It's harder to push around using the clutch than it is in neutral. I think it has to do with the fact that it's a wet clutch, but I don't know exactly.
I agree with your observation and reasoning. Even with the clutch disengaged, there are plates and disks in very close proximity to each other and the oil between all that stuff causes some drag.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
They do tend to 'stick'. I've noticed that when the engine is NOT running, it can be hard to push with the clutch pulled in. However, when it's running, pull the clutch in in any gear and it's like it's in neutral. Is that what you're experiencing?

The plates do tend to stick together. Even when the clutch is pulled those plates aren't far apart.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They do tend to 'stick'. I've noticed that when the engine is NOT running, it can be hard to push with the clutch pulled in. However, when it's running, pull the clutch in in any gear and it's like it's in neutral. Is that what you're experiencing?

The plates do tend to stick together. Even when the clutch is pulled those plates aren't far apart.
Actually i think the resistance is more when the engine isn't running.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Actually i think the resistance is more when the engine isn't running.

When you pull in the clutch lever on a motorcycle you are actually just making space for the friction plates and the steel rings to separate. Not like a car or truck clutch where the pressure plate is mechanically pulled away from the clutch ring. On some clutches the friction material really sticks to the steel rings when the bike cools and requires some rocking back and forth or goosing the engine a couple of times with the clutch pulled in to free everything up.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I was assuming that when you squeeze and hold the clutch in the rear wheel should be free just as if it were in neutral.

Do I need to adjust the clutch cable? Or is this normal?
Guess I never directly opined on this part...

Sounds normal to me. Both my bikes are easier to push when in neutral than when in gear with the clutch disengaged/pulled in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts