Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With this being my first motorcycle, I don't know what is normal. Does everyone else have a "grinding" feeling vibrating through their rear brake pedal? It feels as though it is the front tire doing it, but I feel it with my right foot (or at least that is where I mainly notice it). It happens for about a second or so when I am rolling to a stop at less than 5 mph (just before I stop). Does anyone else feel this, is it normal, or does it sound like the disc brake isn't aligned properly?

It does not squeal like a mountain bike does if the disc brake isn't properly aligned.

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Not normal. I would have someone pull the rear and look at the shoes, and look at the front pads.
Are there deep score lines around the front rotor?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Some slight chatter is normal. Find a safe place, get to about 25mph, and do a sudden stop without locking up the brake. Discs will glaze up, thgis will brake the glaze. You've got an "09, so you're still under warenty. Have Ma Kaw check it out for you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Actually, it is normal, or at least that is what I was told by several different mechanics at different shops. My 2008 1500 Classic did the same thing. Felt like something grinding in the front end just before coming to a complete stop. Apparently it is the brake pads they use on these bikes that causes it. Completely normal and not anything to worry about. I would still take it to the dealer and have them look at it to make sure it is the same cause and not a problem.

Tim

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, I plan on taking it in but wanted to see if anyone else had experienced this and what the found to be the cause.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I called the dealership and they think that the brakes are glazing because I am stopping to early (not applying enough pressure) and just rolling to a stop. I will check the brake pads and rotors today and apply more pressure when I stop. If it continues then I will take it in under warranty.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Mine took a long time to stop the grinding noise. Probably 3000 miles. It would even do it after I let off the brake for a bit. Had it checked a couple of times and was told all was well. It doesn't do it any more and the rotors & pads are in good shape.

It still wouldn't hurt to have it looked at, though.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Has anybody gone through the trouble of removing the rotors to have them turned?

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Has anybody gone through the trouble of removing the rotors to have them turned?
Actually tried that. Made a mandrel to hold the disc on a lathe, did not work too well, even with support all the way up to the edge it chattered when I touched it with cutting tool. I then put it on Blanchard Grinder with magnet turned way down and shims under the high spots, ground one side just to clean up, flipped it over and ground the other side true to the first. Smooth as silk, no more surging when I apply front.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts