Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, recently back to riding and my "New" 99 1500 nomad is going to need some tires soon. Currently it has Dunlop 404's with what looks like just over 30,000 kms on them according to the receipts I have. That seems really good is this normal for them? As the rears are down to 1.5 / 32nd I can't comment on handling as they are so worn. So my question to all is of the three tires: Dunlop 404, Meltzer me880, & Michelin commander ll which one do you recommend and why. Also what front tire are people using with the commander 'll as it doesn't come in 150/80 r16.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've run all three of the tires you mention. The 404 is a good tire but wears out the quickest. ME880s go a lot of miles but cup badly. The Michelins seem to do it all, last a long time, reasonably priced, don't seem to cup much. I recommend the Michelins. You can run a 130/90 on the front, no problem.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've had them on for only about 4,000 miles, they have good grip on wet roads and I haven't noticed any tendancy to follow the rain grooves. I based the mileage statement from people I know who are running them. One guy I know with a full dress Harley got 16K out of rear, the front still looks good for much more. He said he never got more than 12K on any other tire hes run.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Hi all, recently back to riding and my "New" 99 1500 nomad is going to need some tires soon. Currently it has Dunlop 404's with what looks like just over 30,000 kms on them according to the receipts I have. That seems really good is this normal for them? As the rears are down to 1.5 / 32nd I can't comment on handling as they are so worn. So my question to all is of the three tires: Dunlop 404, Meltzer me880, & Michelin commander ll which one do you recommend and why. Also what front tire are people using with the commander 'll as it doesn't come in 150/80 r16.

Have tried the 404 & 880, 404's the better for grip & wear.
Currently have the commander 11's, won't comment until the have gone the distance, but rode in the wet the other day, the rear slipped out on a corner.
I have also tried the continental milestone on the roadstar, great tyre all round, but rear tyre did not go the distance as the 404, but good traction & good value

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What kind of mileage did you get out of the 404's and I've hear they don't ride as nice the ll's, has that been your experience? I was interested in the slipping info, was that the 1st time in rain? How long have you had the ll's?

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
What kind of mileage did you get out of the 404's and I've hear they don't ride as nice the ll's, has that been your experience? I was interested in the slipping info, was that the 1st time in rain? How long have you had the ll's?

The 404's, I would get around 17,000 kilometres on the rear & 21,000 o0n the front. They ride ok, I trust them as an all round tyre, good grip in the wet & stick like glue in the dry.
The slipping was not the 1st in the rain, half the K's have been in the rain.
13,000 on the rear & about 8,000 on the front.
The 404's & I think I had a 505? on the Nomad rear, got about 15,000 , I have no concerns about in the wet or dry

·
Registered
141 Posts
I got 6,000 miles out of my rear 404, and it was shot, I'd never buy another. Dunlop does make some long lasting tires (E3, American Elite) but you'll pay much more than a 404 costs. As for the michelin commander II not getting good wet traction, I've not had that experience at all, quite the opposite actually. Another tire I like are Avon Venoms, very good tire.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I wanted to try them after hearing so much about them, all positive from the guys I know personally. If I get 16-20K out of the rear like some have, I may get them again. I wouldn't have any problem running Avons again. I may try the Metzeler ME888 next time, its supposed to be better than the ME880s.

·
Registered
13 Posts

The 130/90 works fine for the front. Bike Bandit .com had the best price I could find. Haven't put many miles on them to let you know about wear though.Ride is much smoother then the stock 150/80 Bridgestone.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi all, thanks for all the input. I finally bit the bullet and went with the Commander ll's. Picked them up at motorcycle superstore for $248. Have only put a couple hundred kms on them so I can't comment to much except to say that I'm very pleased so far.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts