Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, the KVS is a pretty quiet bike so some of us don't wear hearing protection but some have modified their exhausts and others own other loud bikes so do wear plugs.

Maybe I'm the only one who cares but I thought it would be valuable to the community to start a thread and ask that readers post their favorite plugs with pros and cons.

For me, right now I'm using disposable foam plugs - Oxford EarSoft FX.

Pros
Cheap​

Cons
Blocks out too much sound​
Difficult to get into my narrow ear canals...some days I just give up and go without​
When they're stuffed in there can feel a little uncomfortable like me ears are over-stuffed...probably my narrow canals​

I'm ordering a set of silicone plugs from Eargasm to see how those work out. They make a set for "smaller ears" which hopefully work for me. I'll add my early impressions after I get some time with them.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've got the Eargasms, and am quite a fan. Between the wind noise and my very loud exhaust, ear plugs are real important especially on longer rides. They don't block out too much noise though, I can still hear traffic around me and can carry on normal conversations with people without feeling like anyone has to speak louder.

After an hour or two they do start to bug the inside of my ears though, I anticipate that issue will lessen over time as my ear canals get used to them though. I tried using the smaller plug bodies, but they were way too small and didn't seal at all.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was using the NoNoise plugs for a while. I found them to be a bit too big for my ears, but I made due. A couple of months ago, I lost one and tried dBSounds Premium Clear Silicone Ear Plugs primarily because they were only $10. Love them! They’re much softer and fit me a lot better than the no noise.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Pinlock Earplugs

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was using the silicone ones but kept losing them and they were expensive to replace. They are really good at cutting the wind noise though and letting you hear other things better. I use the ebay ones now that you get like a billion for ten pounds. They work fine but cut out a bit more of the ambient noise than the silicone ones.

It's worth noting that there is a technique for putting them in properly with videos on youtube. I look like a bit of an idiot reaching over my head and pulling my ear up but hopefully it will stop me being totally deaf as an old man!

·
Registered
261 Posts
I use Vibes ear plugs, not because I have loud bikes but because wind noise can do a number on your ears after prolonged exposure.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've been using Pinlock earplugs for almost a year now. They're very comfortable, can wear them for hours without any issues.

Pros:
Reduces wind noise (primary threat to your hearing)
Doesn't muffle hearing
Allows air flow to prevent hot ear or blocked ear feeling
Silicone free (for those who may be sensitive or allergic to it)
Removable filter in center of plug (makes easier to clean)
Includes 2 sizes in box (regular and small)

Cons:
Comes with oddly shaped styrofoam box (holds all four earplugs), it's not very pocket or carry friendly so may need to purchase something else to house them.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I tried the Pinlocks and hated them. There is a company that does custom ear plugs at the annual motorcycle show (Ear Defenders - W. Baker) You pick the colors and they squirt the material into your ears. Since it's custom made the fit is perfect. They are expensive at about fifty bucks a pop but they last - my original pair is about 8 to 10 years old.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I've been using Pinlock earplugs for almost a year now. They're very comfortable, can wear them for hours without any issues.

Pros:

Doesn't muffle hearing

Cons:

Comes with oddly shaped styrofoam box (holds all four earplugs), it's not very pocket or carry friendly so may need to purchase something else to house them.

I keep mine in a pill container attached to my key ring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Pros:
Doesn't muffle hearing

Cons:
Any problems removing them?

I'd read some complaints that the "handle" is tiny and makes them difficult to remove.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I use my elbows.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
121 Posts
Any problems removing them?

I'd read some complaints that the "handle" is tiny and makes them difficult to remove.
The tab on the end is small but I've had no issues removing them. Just make sure to put them in so that tab is on the top where it's easy to grab.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I use Radian custom ear plugs. Made some with my headphones installed so i can hear music, Sena, Phone, GPS.

[ame]https://www.amazon.ca/Radians-CEP001-P-Custom-Molded-Earplugs/dp/B004MFRKSE/ref=sr_1_1?hvadid=267146059619&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9000652&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=8031688040771312088&hvtargid=kwd-298274709775&keywords=radian+custom+molded+earplugs&qid=1554045632&s=gateway&sr=8-1[/ame]

Pros:

Cheap
Comfortable
Reduces noise to 32 decibels
durable (have had mine for 1 and half seasons, where them all the time for roughly 19,000 KMs of riding

Cons:
Not sure i can think of any

·
Registered
27 Posts
Best ear plugs are the ones you remember to wear. Been so excited to get the bike back on the road in the last week that I've zipped out twice, in haste. Both times without the ear plugs of course. Get a few minutes away from the house and on the country roads and it suddenly dawns on you - as the initial euphoria of the ride wears away - that, damn, it's kinda loud out here...
Oh well, as the season continues I'll get back in the routine. I highly recommend protecting the ears!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts