Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced their rear monoshock on their V2K? It seems that I have bottomed it out even after I had it extended all the way up and tightened up the screw that stiffens the shock. The bottoming out is more pronounced especially when riding with my ole lady. The guy at the shop says I should probably get an air shock. Any ideas? BTW I weigh 250 lbs. so I didn't think this was my problem but oh well...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I replaced mine with a works performance shock from 4X4 Tuff, they build the shock to your specks. Just tell them how much weight, rider-passanger-luggage. Mine seats level and only bottems on big bumps. Love it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I put an Ohlins Metric Cruiser shock on my bike. The price has gone up since I bought mine a few years ago, but it's been one of the better investments I made on the bike. I can quickly change the spring pre-load on the fly with the remote adjuster to compensate for changing between solo and two up riding as well as adjust for varying road conditions.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I put an Ohlins Metric Cruiser shock on my bike. The price has gone up since I bought mine a few years ago, but it's been one of the better investments I made on the bike. I can quickly change the spring pre-load on the fly with the remote adjuster to compensate for changing between solo and two up riding as well as adjust for varying road conditions.
V2KCruiser, did you have anything done with the front suspension? Just curious.
Thanks.

·
Registered
392 Posts
an employee of the dealership where I got my v2k from also has a classic model. he has changed his rear shock and claims it works well (not sure of which aftermarket shock). I would guess him at about 220lbs.

I am 245lbs and even at high speeds I find the stock suspension works very well for me. I have not adjusted it, so whatever came from factory is what I have. I run both tires at about 40-42psi.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
I'd be really inclined to say "bad shock". I weigh about 270 and my GF is a big gal herself.

Don't recall the shock ever bottoming with just me on it, and with me + GF it will bottom on a moderate dip or pothole. Still set to factory adjustment.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Bottom slammin'

I had the same issue with my 04 V2K, so I lifted the bike up and ran the spring adjuster right to the bitter end. Then adjusted the damper screw all the way to the right. My bike sometimes runs with a 700lb payload and only bottoms out on really bad ones. I AM looking for an airshock, but ok for now:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts