Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, last night I took a shot into town and ended up playing with a bmw325i. I wasn't paying much attention and when I looked down the "nine" was reading 160+ on the gauge. That's almost 100mph. I was shocked. Not bad for the LT, and it's big ole windshield. Furthermore she was running quite smooth. This bike continues to impress me.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I'm glad you didn't meet any members of your local law enforcement while you were having fun! :)

·
Registered
976 Posts
It's happened to me before. Granted the bike I had before felt like it was flying apart at anything over 55 mph. Right after I got my throttle lock on my bike I was riding to work and listening to the radio in my headphones. I had someone pull out in front of me that got me slowed down to 40 mph on a 65 mph piece of highway on a hill. I don't like going 25 mph slower than the posted speed limit and 35 slower than everyone else besides this guy in front of me especially at night where his taillights are much more visible than mine, so I goosed the throttle and started accelerating up the hill.

Now, 2 miles later and a little under a mile after the peak of the hill on a slight downward slope I was coming up to my turn and noticed it was coming up pretty quick. Nobody was around me either, I seem to remember there were cars around me. Oh, there they are back behind me. I finally looked down and realized I had added throttle with the throttle lock on so I was basically pinning the thing wide open and the speedo was reading 120mph (108 actual). It wasn't shaking, it wasn't having any problems and I was lucky there wasn't any highway patrol hanging around at the time.

Heck, if I wanted to go fast I would have bought a sport bike.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I was talking with one of our members last year who lives in South Africa. He was saying that he regularly rides in the 100-120 mph range on his 900 custom. Evidently, highway patrol officers are practically non-existent in that country. Or maybe they aren't paid enough to risk their lives driving over 100mph so they can catch speedy bikers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's happened to me before. Granted the bike I had before felt like it was flying apart at anything over 55 mph. Right after I got my throttle lock on my bike I was riding to work and listening to the radio in my headphones. I had someone pull out in front of me that got me slowed down to 40 mph on a 65 mph piece of highway on a hill. I don't like going 25 mph slower than the posted speed limit and 35 slower than everyone else besides this guy in front of me especially at night where his taillights are much more visible than mine, so I goosed the throttle and started accelerating up the hill.

Now, 2 miles later and a little under a mile after the peak of the hill on a slight downward slope I was coming up to my turn and noticed it was coming up pretty quick. Nobody was around me either, I seem to remember there were cars around me. Oh, there they are back behind me. I finally looked down and realized I had added throttle with the throttle lock on so I was basically pinning the thing wide open and the speedo was reading 120mph (108 actual). It wasn't shaking, it wasn't having any problems and I was lucky there wasn't any highway patrol hanging around at the time.

Heck, if I wanted to go fast I would have bought a sport bike.
Just wanted to know what mods (if any) you were running to get the speedo to read 120? I've been into the throttle several times and the very best i've done is 112 on the speedo. That's with full drag pipes and open intake. I haven't been out like that since the PC III, but.... really don't think it will effect the top end THAT much

·
Registered
976 Posts
The only mod I had done to the bike at that time was a throttle lock and it was broken in but on the first rear tire. Like I stated though it was on a downhill slope but it was mid summer so the wind if there was any would have been into me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I got mine up to 105 mph last week on a ride back from Tennessee. Flat terrain. I agree that the bike seems to run smoother at 90-100 than it does at 70-80. Not too many cops on the interstate in rural 'Bama. :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
im actually kind of scared to go that fast i dunno why i think ill panic n just hit the brake or something i dont know

·
Registered
976 Posts
The 900 is better in the twists and cutting through downtown traffic, but it will run flat out too. You're not going to keep up with any but the smallest of Sportbikes and of course it will do anything LEGAL with aplomb.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm glad you didn't meet any members of your local law enforcement while you were having fun! :)
Yeah, me too, I drive for a living and didn't really need the hassle of pleading my case to deaf ears.....lol.
ThAt BMW was responsible.....I swear.....

·
Registered
711 Posts
I've had mine to 115mph on the odermeter several times. The 900 can probably hadle a bit more but the rev limiter starts at 115mhp.

·
Registered
976 Posts
For my stock bike with 10% speedo error 4th gear tops out at 117, 5th at 135. That's 105 and 121.5 actual and beyond the bikes ability in 5th, just not enough ponies. I don't think it'd get to redline in 4th. I've hit it in 3rd plenty though. OEM that's 95.7 indicated or 86 actual.

With the Scoots pulley it's a little more hesitant of the limiter on third gear but still trips it at 90-92, 113 and 130 respectively. Redline at 7200 on the 900

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree with you all. Top end really isn't what I'm setting out for with my project. I know it will sit at about 110 for the rest of its life, but if i can get to 110 quicker than the other guy then I'll be happy even if he wizzes by at 180.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Silent you didn't say who won. Thats all I cared about.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1 - 16 of 16 Posts