Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past couple of days, my left turn signal will go into double-time flash mode, blinking about twice as fast as "normal". In a car, this almost always means a bulb is blown out, but both front and rear light up, both for turn and running lights. Don't have any add-on electrical (yet) and not sure what this could be from.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
The front bulbs are dual filament. If either filament is bad, you'll get the fast flash even though everything appears to work normally. This happened to me a while back and I had to take the turn signal lenses off to see it.

·
Registered
953 Posts
its probably just the connection, happened to me a lot on the 900. Just take the bulb out and clean the connections then put it back in.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have the same problem with mine. I have pulled checked and cleaned all 4 bulbs. No help.
It's still in warranty, the dealer can fix it, but I'd still like to know whats going on !!

·
Registered
121 Posts
+1 with gwnut and bigsarge. This seems to be a common ailment w the VN900. Mine, an 09, stopped the flash after I cleaned the bulb, ground down the bulb connections and sprayed with WD40, just a bit. Ride and enjoy!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all! I heard the magic words "if it's still under warranty"...I'll try cleaning and if that doesn't work, we'll be off to the dealer!

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
just remember that the warranty will not cover it if it turns out to be a bulb.....would suck paying for 1/2 hr labor to get a bulb changed...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Had the same problem, removed perfectly good bulbs, added a tab of dielectric grease and reinserted. Problem solved. Guess road vibrations caused them to loosen slightly in the sockets.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
+1 on the dielectric grease. Wipe it on, then wipe it off (VERY thin layer).
Re-assemble and no more problems.

Scott

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, just removing the bulb, cleaning contacts, replacing bulb has corrected the problem for now. Will keep the dielectric grease idea in my pocket for next time it happens.

Thanks to all that responded!

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Take a brush and clean the contacts inside the socket as well, next time you're in there, and the dielectric grease will solve your problem until the bulb burns out.

·
Registered
77 Posts
X3 on the dielectric grease.................I had the same problem and did the same fix as you............3 weeks later, the same problem again. Took all the signal bulbs out and put just a tad of dielectric grease on them. That was about a year ago and no problems so far.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Glad to have a Search function in the forum! Christmas Day trip to relatives and the right turn signal did double time. I knew I would find the answer when I returned home to do a forum search. There it was...easy fix but only because of you folks! Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts