Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Having a bit of an issue that I hope someone can help with. I had a broken front turn signal housing on my 07 Nomad and for the about the same price as a new one, I picked up a set of driving lights with turn signals. Yes, they're only a cheap set but I thought I'd try them. Here's my problem:

The OEM turn signals on my bike have 3 wires and take an 1157 bulb. The turn signals on the driving lights only have 2 wires. So I wired the turn signals to the turn signal and the third wire to the driving lights, which also uses an 1156 bulb, then split the ground wire between the two. In theory, it would be the same load so I didn't think it would be an issue. However, now all my turn signals are hyper flashing. I've been told by an old school motorcycle mechanic that I need the three wires to my turn signals, and that's the only way to fix it. He said the best bet would be to swap the innards from the OEM signals to the aftermarket one and wire the driving lights to my low beam. But they're simply too different to work.

I'm not using any LED bulbs, but I read that another option would be an electronic flasher as they don't use the load to determine the speed of the flash. This seems like the easiest solution but I don't know which one to get. I've seen ones with two wires on Amazon, but the OEM flasher has a 5 wire plug. I really don't want to cut up the wiring harness if I don't have to so I can easily switch back the original lights if I ever want to. Does anyone know of a plug and play one that will work, or have any other suggestions?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Sorry. The only thing that will get you a guaranteed response on here is a question on which oil to use.

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
I just saw this thread. I don't have a 1600, so I wasn't paying it much attention.

Anyway, an 1156 bulb is not the same as the high side of an 1157 bulb. The high side of an 1157 (the turn signal side) uses about 27 watts. An 1156 only 21 watts. Therefore, the fast blink. Yes, adding a resistor will solve the problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts