Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having the fast blink issue and the rear right directional was out. I found all the info on here about cleaning up the connector and using the dielectric grease. problem solved. Rode all of bike week in Laconia without an issue.

Get on the bike today and just a mile down the road I get the fast blinking indicator again for the right side. When I get off the bike I see that the front and rear turn signal is working fine, just blinking fast.

I don't have any LEDs except the Headlight. The left side flashes normally. Is this as simple as a relay issue or am I going to have to dig into this more?

Thanks

·
Registered
507 Posts
Not even a relay issue. This one's an easy one. Modern turn indicators have a sort of electrical "fail safe" mode -- the fast blinking is telling you one of your bulbs has failed and is on fail-safe mode. Annoyingly, this means buying both front and rear bulbs, as you don't know which has bought the farm, but they're pretty cheap. It's different bulbs front and rear. 1157's in the front and 1156's in the back, if memory serves, but that might be reversed. Grab four while you're at it, and an extra double filament one (I think that's the 1157...) for the tail light and spend a pleasant half-hour with a Phillips screwdriver freshening your photons.

·
Registered
507 Posts
"Blink fast" = a lamp on that side is in failure mode. Doesn't mean it's burned out, as in no light coming out, it means it's down to its last filament.

If you're electrically minded, I believe the lamp contains two filaments in parallel, so when one burns out the resistance of the bulb doubles.

I just went through this with my 900 right after I bought it. The guy I bought it from said he couldn't figure it out, but it had "been like that for about a year, so I guess it's okay." A few bulbs later, all is well.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've had this same issue with the left side, front blinker. If it does it while the bike is sitting still (doesn't even have to be running, as long as key is in running position so lights turn on), give either the front or rear turn signals a good smack with your hand. If you give one of them a smack and it starts working properly again, that means the connection isn't quite seated properly.

You could try taking it apart and redoing it, but for me the smack every now and then seems to fix it for quite a while. Luckily it's the front turn signal in my case so if I notice it happening while I'm riding I can just lean forward and take care of it. Usually fixes it for around a month or so. Give it a try!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Kileg911, I just bought my 2019 Vulcan 900 LT a week ago and started having that fast flash thing happen on Day 2. Rather than go back to the dealer right away, I did ask about it here and read your article about giving the directional lights on the faulty side a slap. I did that and it worked. It was the right front one so it's fixed for now. Must be a loose connection or something. I'll just wait until my 1000 km dealer checkup and advise them about spanking the directional signal light. Even customers can educate the service department. They'll check for a connection issue. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Another issue about this I've seen a couple of times. The slow blink fast blink of the standard incendescent bulb (1156/1157) turn signals is current based. If the bulbs are normal, you get slow blink. If a filement changes, causing a reduction in current, you get the fast blink. I've seen it twice where a filement breaks then falls to another part of the filement stand (inside the bulb), then continues to light as a partial filement. However, the current is reduced and you get a fast blink. You just have to pull the bulbs and inspect them closely, to see if this has happened.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts