Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed on a recent ride that the electric cooling fan behind the radiator was not coming on. This would probably be no big deal, except that it has been like 200 degrees every day. I am aware that it only runs when the bike is sitting still, no wind coming through the radiator to cool things off. It does turn by hand and while riding, so I know it is not locked up. I checked the fuse, and it is good.

What next?

·
Registered
711 Posts
With today's weather it should be coming on even when running. One question, do you happen to run a 20-50 weight oil on your bike? I once tried it and not only did my ride became noisier but I noticed the fan wouldn't kick on and it was plain texas summer with 100 degree + heat.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oil is OEM, changed at the dealer.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I noticed on a recent ride that the electric cooling fan behind the radiator was not coming on. This would probably be no big deal, except that it has been like 200 degrees every day. I am aware that it only runs when the bike is sitting still, no wind coming through the radiator to cool things off. It does turn by hand and while riding, so I know it is not locked up. I checked the fuse, and it is good.

What next?
inspect the fan motor, remove the fuel tank. disconnect the 2 pin connector in the fan motor leads. using the 2 auxiliary wires, supply battery power to the fan motor. if the fan doesn't kick on its your motor, replace motor

·
Registered
156 Posts
if your temp light isnt coming on, I wouldnt worry. one way to check it is let it sit and idle awhile, she'll come on.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Fan rotation

I got a question maybe someone can help me with? When my cooling motor kicks on which way should the fan be turning, clockwise or counter clock wise? If sitting on the bike and looking down at it , it is rotating counterclockwise and blowing hot air back towards the engine instead of out towards the rad like a car fan? Vet one.

·
Registered
125 Posts
All fans in all vehicles pull air through the radiator to cool the water. The (cooler) water then cycles to the engine to cool the cylinders. The heat in the radiator came from the engine in the first place, and it's the fan's job to get rid of that heat.

I would be worried if your fan did blow forward.

·
Registered
81 Posts
if your temp light isnt coming on, I wouldnt worry. one way to check it is let it sit and idle awhile, she'll come on.
I don't know as much about bikes as I do cars, but I'm guessing the fan is engaged by a temp sensor or a simple thermostatic switch, but if that was the problem, the temp light would never activate.

I would do as mentioned and check the operation of the fan. If it works, then see about getting a hold of a wire diagram and start checking the operation of the other components. Temp Sensor, relay, wiring.

I can tell you this much, when its 90 degrees plus out, I can't sit idle for more than a minute before my fan kicks on.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Yep, that's what they would do at the dealer too. Even if the temperature light comes on during your test, there's no danger to the engine as long as you shut it off. I ride in warm to hot weather year around. Most of the time my fan is off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts