Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got any mechanics out there?

Got a 2009 Vulcan 2000 LT. Been hot in Florida, noticed radiator fan hasn't been activating.

I checked the fan itself and the fan does work. However, the thermostat or brain that activates it, does not. Any ideas other than taking it to someone who knows what they're doing?

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pipes reply...and fan...

Warlock,

Thanks for the reply. I noticed my fan wasn't working a few months ago but it was still cool so I figured it just wasn't getting hot enough.

Now it is hot and the fan still doesn't activate though it did last summer when I first bought it. Looks like I may have to spend the bucks even though, like you, I've never gotten the hot light to come on.....but man, that motor sure feels hot beside my legs!

As for the pipes, I don't know what they're called. They came with the bike but thanks for the compliment. People really like those long, chrome pipes. The only problem is that they're....too quiet!

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
buzz lite year,, seems to be an issue.. I had w/my 07. the fan is controlled by the ECU, program logic is water temp but the sensor is fine. Many of the dc electric loads controlled by ECU's are triac switched on using the dc negative leg as opposed to old skool relay logic switching the positive..
I rewired my fan direct to a switch on my handy bars and just turn it on/off whenever I want. mostly at stop lites. as long as I am rolling ther is no need for it. but then at long lites, I switch the motor off anyway. yes all my bikes. ponchout

·
Registered
547 Posts
Motion sensor

The cooling system has a motion sensor that prevents the fan from comming on while the bike is moving, smething to think about
good luck

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all of you!

Fan does not come on while bike is moving?

That's wild. Had no idea! That's why it would come on when I'd park my LT on a hot day. I didn't realize the cooling fins were that efficient either.

This may be a dumb question but.......if the fan DID RUN while the bike is moving...would the wind cause it run in reverse or cause it to bog down...or...cause it to overspeed? I'd have to look at it to see. It does seem to be pretty flimsy.

I may do like Poncho and just wire it to a handlebar switch, do the KISS routine.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Temperature sensors!

Good advice. Temperature sensors do not function if they are not submerged.
.....and I thought you guys were a bunch of motorhead dummies! I'm the one finding out who the Motorhead Dummy is....it's the guy typing this note!

·
Registered
547 Posts
the cooling system is capable of cooling the engine for short periods of time at 110 + degrees like coming across the border from Mexico in dead stopped traffic, my fan will start cycling about 3 minutes after sitting parked with the engine running , fan blows air torwards the engine not to the front,

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm the dummy - not you guys!

"Fan blows air toward the motor!"

Now why didn't I think to get my hand down there & check that? My common sense tells me that puny little fan isn't going to do a lot of cooling, especially toward the rear cylinder.

I may do like that other guy does, just drive it with the fan not working. Or maybe like Pancho, run a hot wire to it with a switch on the bars.

Very interesting! Thank you to all of you!

Sincerely,
Big Dummy

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
IT was a rare occurrence that the fan on my V2K ever kicked on, but it has. Usually in the upper 90 degree F and sitting still or slow moving traffic. I always thought the fan was more for aid in cooling the water in the radiator to cool the motor and not directly cooling the motor with the air it moves.

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
I don't have a V2K, but I can tell you that not having a working fan can cause a motorcycle engine to overheat, especially on a hot day and sitting at a red light or in slow moving traffic.

The problem could be the sensor on the radiator. There is probably a test with specs in the service manual. They do wear out sometimes. It should not be too hard to replace and they usually aren't expensive. If you don't have a copy of the service manual, you should download one.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
automatic controls are muey vondebah wen they work.. often enuff they don't and you aren't aware until yor in truble.. yes trace it out, find it, fix it. that is the correct thing to do.

our motors are water cooled, not really air cooled, the fins are mostly cosmetic. as long as your moving forward at a reasonable speed 20? there is enuff air over the radiator to dissipate heat away from the motor/radiator unfortunately onto you.. but that's not the issue.

when in slow crawling traffic and at stop lites, you need that fan on to get air over and shed heat.. when the Auto Control system is suspect of Erratic operation or None, regardless of what the reason is, I prefer to have MANUAL Control of this Important Function.. hence a switch on the HandyBars is for My Convenience. Yes I switch it ON and leave it in that modus operandem. it doesn't hurt for it to run while you run..

I also have gotten into the habit from all my Air Cooled motorbikes is to monitor any lites I approach. If I am stopped at the beginning of the cycle, I immediately shut my motor off. I watch the timing of the other lights and traffic and anticipate when my green is coming. I start my motor and put it in gear b4 its time to pull out..

and yes I am a sitting duck for some numskull to clobber me from behind. but then even with the motor running and ready to evade said predator, its a 50/50 chance if he don't get me some otter numskull will.. life on a bike in the city is crapshoot. poncho

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Another BooBoo from me...

Poncho,

Correct me if I'm wrong but I stated in my earlier email that the fan blows air over the cylinders.

I re-thought that statement. The fan actually sucks air through the radiator thereby cooling the water etc. NOT to blow air backwards over the cylinders.

I'm surprised you didn't catch me on that. Probably thought anybody that stupid didn't deserve a response. Ha Ha!

I'm getting a switch for my fan too! Great idea!

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I'm surprised you didn't catch me on that. Probably thought anybody that stupid didn't deserve a response. Ha Ha!
bm'rs,, sometimes we like to watch you flounder around and suffer a bit.. once a while, we'll thro you a bone to gnaw on..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just call me Flounder...

I gnawed on that bone for two days. Finally spit it out and figured out the fan deal. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Poncho - Got another question!

Poncho or anyone else...

Got a 2009 Vulcan 2000 LT. Tried to check the anti-freeze content. They painted my plastic tank....black. Wonderful. Can't see how much is in it.

What I did was just fill the sumbitch up. Took quite a bit and that could be why (according to the other guy who wrote me) the fan is not working. He said the thermo has to be in fluid to work.

Anyway, with not other recourse, I just filled it up...all the way. I figured the excess would flow out the drain tube. Was I correct in doing this? Have not driven it yet.

Thanks for any advice.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts