Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well after trying everything in this world to try an stop this famous squeal, chirp.I am about to burn it... the only thing i have found is when i have the bike on the stand the back pulley has a slight wobble to it is this normal ,or should it run true,love the bike but i am getting pretty sick of this noise Last year i put on over 13000 km an no noise... took the bike out this year an this is driving me crazy...I have tried loose belt tight belt, belt adjusted to left side of pulley right side of pulley ,an belt in the center all i get is the same squeal at different speeds had pulleys off an cleaned tried belt dressing sand paper thought the belt was glased it was not....anybody come up with a cure for this yet
Thanks Rob

·
Registered
7 Posts
Take off the seat, look to make sure the tire isn't rubbing into the mud guard that protects the battery area. If it's too close adjust the shock to the highest setting. Might not even be the belt making noise. If the tire has rubbed deeply enough into the guard it will knock off the alignment of the rear tire.

Just went through this.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Supercub -- Have you have had a tire change?? I have that wobble you describe -- about a mill and half out of true...Found it like you -- on a stand, doing some regular maint....AFTER a tire change...The bolts the pulley is attached with have flat steel washers between the nuts and the pulley plate...My thoughts are that the bearing housing "may" be cocked on re-installation..????? Just a thought..the coush-rubbers may be misaligned as well with that?? I've checked into the pulley run out but no definitive values so far. However I am of the opinion that there should be little if any pulley deflection...

I have used a material of late made by Lyman, who make shooting products(bullets, loading equipment and the like) They have a bullet lubricant which is a waxy substance with graphite embedded...Works pretty good, and better I think than the heat sink compound I was using....Might work??!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Supercub -- Have you have had a tire change?? I have that wobble you describe -- about a mill and half out of true...Found it like you -- on a stand, doing some regular maint....AFTER a tire change...The bolts the pulley is attached with have rubber washers between the nuts and the pulley plate...My thoughts are that the bearing housing "may" be cocked on re-installation..????? Just a thought..the coush-rubbers may be misaligned as well with that?? I've checked into the pulley run out but no definitive values so far. However I am of the opinion that there should be little if any pulley deflection...

I have used a material of late made by Lyman, who make shooting products(bullets, loading equipment and the like) They have a bullet lubricant which is a waxy substance with graphite embedded...Works pretty good, and better I think than the heat sink compound I was using....Might work??!
[/QUOTE
yes had a tire change at the first of the year but it was fine for a while,an then it started.My pulley wobble is about the same.I am going out in the garage now to try again.I do not think the pulley should have a wobble this moves the belt around making it rub an squeal.I would think

1 - 6 of 6 Posts