Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought this 06 limited edition on kind of a whim..was thinking about a diff bike and this deal was to good to pass up. Trouble is Im having a hard time falling in love with it, maybe cause I haven't "made it my own" my other bike a FZ1 is highly customized (think mad max). I want to change it up cause it way to shiny and chromey for my taste but not sure I'll keep it...anyone tried the vinyl wrap on tanks and fenders and all them damn shiny front end parts?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I haven't done any of the things you mentioned but I have done a few things to personalize my '08 Classic LT. I like mine pretty much the way it is...that's the main reason I bought it. I seen a video on tank wrapping one time and I was very impressed with how it was done. I added 3" Hard Krome Big Straights, throttle assist, drink holder, fender tips coming, OEM luggage rack, Speedohealer, highway bars already on it, spot lights already on it. K&N air filter already on it. Other than that ...pretty much just like it came from the factory

·
Registered
127 Posts
Take Poncho's advice: Strip it down to the bare necessities. If it isn't needed to run, off it comes. Completely changes the character of the bike. Drops at least 100lbs. for one thing. Makes a HUGE difference.

I don't know about vinyl wrap, but matte black spray paint works wonders for cutting the chrome glare problem. Better yet, just take that stuff off.

Ditch the exhaust and slip on some Ponch mufflers - Cherry Bombs - until you decide what you want.

I put on drag bars and added about 6" height to the seat. Gets rid of that "Gynecologist visit" riding position.

And DON'T try to ride it like an FZ1 ! The V2K gets completely out of shape fast when pushed to it's limits. A bumpy corner taken just a little too fast gets overwhelming before you know it. This is a cruiser - cruise on it and you'll soon fall in love. I did, and I was a 100% sportbike and Cafe racer guy.

Another thing - and take this with a heavy dose of suspicion: Take it easy on the engine. I use the power occasionally, but I get the "feeling" that this engine will come apart if you regularly hit the rev limiter. No data to back up this opinion, but this thing is not a well-balanced design and it has a long stroke compared to the bore. Kawi set the rev limiter at 5,200 rpm which has to be an industry low. Why? Maybe because this thing is dying to fly apart? Compare the rotating assembly to an inline 4 that can turn over 10grand, and you'll see what I mean.

I came really close to selling mine when it threw me up in the air when I hit a bump - not even going all that fast. Gotta slow way down to enjoy this bike.

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,919 Posts
But... But..

Shiny parts are good parts!

You don't like shiny parts?? Your not one of them there communist are you?

(just kidding. Google images for the v2k. Lot's of "rat" bikes and stuff...)

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Chrome good!

Need more chrome!

Maybe I'm a chrome whore.
Maybe I have an addition.

Naw.
First step to recovery is admitting you have a problem...

I loved the 2k, kinda. I understand where you are coming from though, because the 2k was everything I wanted...on paper... I put about 10000 miles on mine and just couldn't be happy. (partially - mostly - due to a serious mechanical failure)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Take Poncho's advice: Strip it down to the bare necessities. If it isn't needed to run, off it comes. Completely changes the character of the bike. Drops at least 100lbs. for one thing. Makes a HUGE difference.
Can't find a thread on this. What all can you strip off to lighten it? I ask cuz I'm a whopping 135 lbs riding a V2K and love it but lets be honest I could benefit from lightening it a little.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I am a former V2K owner. You got to love the bike for what it is. I was heading in the wrong direction with mine (Touring) in my opinion. If I had the $$$ I would have kept it and took everything off of it and made a bar hopper out of it. But with what I am using my bike for a where I am riding it, I wanted a full blown touring bike and to me, it was not. The raw torque and power of this bike was a blast. I would like to have another one later on down. Just not now. Oh and as for the low rev limiter, you will find it quick in first if you ain't careful, but you will get used to it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lol lots of advice! I was shying away from tearing it to pieces and rattle canning it ike my other bikes just in case I want to sell it. It came with V&N Powershots a cobra fuel processor and big ugly shiny Barrons Air...I put 10" apes on and it really changed how the bike feels. Its growing on me I do get chubby over the power, if i can keep it from blowing all the oil out of the crank vent,it may find a home here after all. Its got the frieght train headlamp so kinda tough to change that look. Like I said if I decide to keep it then it will get the treatment..anyone know of a sound clip of the freedom performance combat pipe?

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Got to follow procedure to check oil level. These Kaws are particular how you check them. Prop the kick stand up on a 2x4 to level it, fire it up, don't rev it, let it fun a few minutes then shut it down and let the oil drain back down and then check it. Too much oil will blow out the crank case vent all the time. I did not have the Baron's, dose the case not vent back in the air box?

·
4,919 Posts
yeppers, SWVA is correct.

Your not suppose to check the oil while the bike is on the kickstand. The bike has to be level. (FYI, it points that out in the owners manual).

If you have to much oil in it, the "overflow" of oil will get blown out the breather.

It's something most of us have learned the hard way....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I have been checkin it on the "level" may have been to much in there when I bought it, but still if I ride it like I rented it I've had oil come out. And yes it did connect to the air cleaner but i moved it to a separate crank vent and mounted it up higher hoping this will help.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I haven't owned mine that long but when I changed the oil I had a few drops come out of the air cleaner, don't think I over filled it as I put exactly what the owners manual states with filter change, done 1000kms since then and haven't seen anymore oil drips, kind of strange.

·
4,919 Posts
I haven't owned mine that long but when I changed the oil I had a few drops come out of the air cleaner, don't think I over filled it as I put exactly what the owners manual states with filter change, done 1000kms since then and haven't seen anymore oil drips, kind of strange.
Did you drain all THREE oil plugs?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yep sure did, and a new filter then added 4.6l of oil, went by the owners manual, was no biggie only a couple of drips, took me all of 5 seconds to wipe it off with some paper towel.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Yeah I have been checkin it on the "level" may have been to much in there when I bought it, but still if I ride it like I rented it I've had oil come out. And yes it did connect to the air cleaner but i moved it to a separate crank vent and mounted it up higher hoping this will help.
But did you start it and let the oil circulate and then let it fall evenly. You can just prop it up level and check it and it will still read low since the engine case is in "compartments" even though the oil is shared it will still be low in the area the dipstick touches. They are quirky machines when it comes to oil.

·
4,919 Posts
Good work on the pipes!

what paint did you use?

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
yet another oil level thread...?

wen do we ever lern? checking oil on this beast and for that matter a dozen other diff bran mosikles.. they all read goofy at diff conditions, temps, cetera.. why even bother?.. its not like any of these motors are either out bone dry or even a smidgen low from FULL..
this puny lil 125ci motors have 5+qt capacity. that's almost as much as I put in 327ci chevy v8..

these motors unless you hosed it seriously some how.. don't burn oil. don't leak oil. only blow oil cuz you put too much in there.. so WTF?

Drain it completely, plug it. change filter. refill it with 5qt. brand spankin new erl.. go ride the dang thing for 5k smiles. then do it again.
ever time I drain my oil, any vehicle, I measure exactly what came out.. you know what..? its exactly the same 5qts, I put in there 5k smiles ago.. go figur?

even if it by some chance it consumed a whole 1/2 qt.. the motor still has 3x as much oil as it will ever needs to operate efficiently..
So WHAT is all the bother with checking oil LEVEL as if it somehow was CRITICAL to proper operation and life..? so do we think that if we could keep it at some MYSTICAL level the motor will magicly perform better?
I think all this hype about oil level is girly talk for insecure girlymen.. me thinks.

this goes for everyone of my many mc and truck motors. I watch em close 'nuff. they are fine. Ride em, clean em, change em.. go get yer 'nuther. ponchout

·
Registered
183 Posts
these motors unless you hosed it seriously some how.. don't burn oil. don't leak oil. only blow oil cuz you put too much in there.. so WTF?
Poncho, last year I took a 5000 mile trip, I recon I was hard on the throttle (this bike does the TON easily ;-) ) In CO I checked the oil and I was a full quart down, I had to add almost another quart in Nashville.

However in normal conditions never had to add oil.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts