Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Vulcan 2000 with the big Nacelle headlight. I am thinking about putting a fairing on it. I have heard a Harley Davidson fairing can be modified to fit. I know the bottom part of the headlight ring of the fairing will have to be cut of and trimmed. does anybody know if this will work? I want to install both the inner and outer shell. Will the ignition swithch on the headlight assembly still be accessible? Help Please!

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I have not heard of anyone doing that with the regular V2K. Only seen/heard of it on the classic. Maybe someone else will chime in with some good information.

I know Corbin makes one that will bolt right up but you have drop $$$$ for it. They are not cheap.

·
Registered
21 Posts
There's a guy named Preacher on Delphi forums (Kawasaki Vulcan riders forum) that has put a hd outer only on a v2k

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Ponch has posted more than one place on this. He told me you can modify aftermarket batwing fairing light openings to fit a Star Wars headlight Vulcan 2000.

He does not post instructions on how to do it, but I would use a pneumatic saw to cut it after carefully measuring and marking with tape and marker as to what to cut, then refinish the cut surface with fiberglass gel coat.

Or you can just buy the Corbin fairing, because they make one specific to fit that headlight.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
I am not familiar with that model fairing, but I am relatively certain that Corbin is the only company that makes a fairing that will fit the nacelle headlamp. It is not what is on the fairing, it has to do with the diameter of the opening for the light. Most do not have sufficient clearance for the nacelle due to its larger diameter and slightly elipsoid shape.

This is why I referenced the posts by Ponch, and he is simply stating that you can "easily" (his words, not mine) modify the opening on the nonconforming fairing products to fit the nacelle headlamp. As I previously stated, this can be done if you are skilled at it, by using a pneumatic saw and marking carefully where to trim the opening. And of course you must be very deft with the saw and cut carefully. You would have to re-finish the cut surface with gelcoat and polish it out, then paint the whole fairing to match the bike. If you don't have a pneumatic saw, a good reciprocating saw with a blade for plastics would do the job. I would tape the cut line with masking tape to protect the gel coat from scratches caused by the guides or contact plate of the saw. You can tape it and then mark with a Sharpie for your cut line.

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,906 Posts
This is why I referenced the posts by Ponch, and he is simply stating that you can "easily" (his words, not mine) modify the opening on the nonconforming fairing products to fit the nacelle headlamp.
I think the Key thing here is "his words not mine".

Easy is always relative to the speaker.

We have a lot of new members here, ones who were not around when Ponch was...

Ponch was....I can't put it into words. I was a big fan of poncho and miss him a lot.

Ponch knew everything. Not "smart ass" knew everything. He KNEW everything. You had an issue, Poncho knew what it was and out how to fix it.

Poncho was also the "master moder" and "tinker". And not the "bolt stuff on and off" guy. Machine shop the stuff himself.

You out there my friend?

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
I believe my last post made it abundantly clear about how you do this modification. Your interpretation of the word "easily" (not "easy") is irrelevant at this point. If you are timid about any of the procedures I outlined, then don't try this avenue. However, if you have the tools and the patience to learn, you can do this.

It takes patience and being willing to hold out your hand for help, and being able to use personal resources to get that help. People, particularly males, are afraid to do this. Posting on the internet is not the way to do that. It is impersonal and while it is high tech, it provides absolutely no face to face contact whatsoever, and as such removes the emotional impediment for most who post here. They feel embarassed or timid and therefore they post what amounts to an anonymous question for "help". Ask people you know. There are more out there in your social world than you probably give credit. Ponch is correct, this is easy.

But it takes getting off your behind, away from the smartphone internet or keyboard, and picking up that 3,000 pound telephone and calling a few people, maybe people you don't know personally, and getting help and instruction. I can't tell you how many times I have done this in my 57 short years of living in this life. And that is how I learn to do this stuff.

·
Registered
392 Posts
a handful from this forum met for a weekend ride in east Texas a couple years back. I was one of them, ponch was another. he understands how motorcycles work, from an engineering perspective. he enjoyed improving/altering the way manufacturers do things. a good guy for sure.

all of us on here lead very different lives. we obtain information is different ways, we have very diverse priorities and some, as myself, have careers which take 70 hrs or more of our best time, weekly. none of this doesn't necessarily mean anyone is avoiding emotions or are timid.

fairing - maybe find one at a junk yard, or on ebay for the lowest price you can find, to practice with. if might cost much to obtain a perfect condition road-glide HD fairing, and practicing on a cheep one first may prove helpful. corbin.com have many interesting fairings and hard bags, but are pricey. thanks for reading and have a blessed day!

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
If you are working a 70 hour work week, that does not leave sufficient disposable time to work on a project like this or any other project for that matter, after you factor in family time. That is why I suggested Corbin. Yes, they cost a lot, but if you work that many hours, obviously your time is worth something, and that means you can pay more for a finished product that you don't have to spent that valuable time tinkering with. :)

·
Registered
294 Posts

Ponch was....I can't put it into words. I was a big fan of poncho and miss him a lot.

Ponch knew everything. Not "smart ass" knew everything. He KNEW everything. You had an issue, Poncho knew what it was and out how to fix it.

Poncho was also the "master moder" and "tinker". And not the "bolt stuff on and off" guy. Machine shop the stuff himself.

You out there my friend?
Where did he go? What happened to him? I thought he left because he had got a Harley and liked it better. The last I remember seeing him on here was when he won the BOTM with his bobber. Also, thats about the last time I saw anything from Tallannie. Where did she go? Maybe things just got so bad they can't afford a computer anymore. Enquiring minds need to know!!!

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Ponch: Might Just Be Lack of Time

I know for me personally, I have cut down the time I spend on this and other special interest forums. I only go on when I need some information, and I don't post that often on any of them any more. There is a motorcycle forum I belong to that I have not posted anything in probably 5 years. I also belong to several model specific car forums. Same deal. I recently started some threads on one after not posting there for probably 15 years. I needed some help with a project.

So, Ponch and the lady member may just be busy with life and they don't want to spend time right now on this forum. Not anything ominous. I think many presuppose an artificial priority or attraction of the forum that simply is not there for those who want to spend their time elsewhere.

:cool:

·
Registered
178 Posts
I wanted a fairing for my bike and I do have the skills to do a mod on a "cheaper" model. I built these two from trash cars.

But in the case of the fairing, I looked at the expense of buying the fairing, modding it, gel coating it, and having it painted. It came within a reasonable amount to just buy the Corbin fairing ready to go.

Here are my pros and cons of it.

Pros

GREAT looking fairing
Very well made
Thick material throughout
Gives great protection of your upper body AND hands from the wind
Uses stock FLHTC windshields
Very easy to mount
Accepts standard HD windshield bags

Cons

For the price of this fairing I feel they really should have supplied chrome mounts. It came with silver powder coated mounts.

There is no provision to mount speakers in the hand guard sections. Although I personally wouldn't want speakers, it wold be a great storage area.

The mounts in the stock position make the fairing tilt VERY far back towards the rider. You could almost see straight down the windshield and fairing to the ground in front of you ! Also notice the large gap between the headlight and fairing.

You can only get a 6" smoked windshield with it (or a 10" clear). That just isn't enough especially with it tilted back so far.

There is a sizable gap above the headlight and fairing. This is caused by the fairing being tilted back so far.

I know this may just be MY personal preferences showing (as my wife said I am never satisfied with anything stock) so here is what I have done to "fix" the "problems".

I moved the top fairing mounts out of the hole and pushed it forward to lower the front end and raise/move forward the windshield. My wife suggested calling Corbin to make sure the brackets are for the freight train headlight because they are off so much.

This is just a temp measure until I get everything how I like it and I will make it permanent. This brought the nose of the fairing to within a 1 1/2" of the light and raised the windshield up/forward considerably. I am going to push it forward until I have a VERY close fit to the headlight.

All in all, I am VERY impressed with the fairing and like I said I can do the work but you would be hard pressed to mod anything to come close the the quality of it.

The ride - fantastic ! I have ridden without a shield and with a SwitchBlade "Chopper" style and they just don't compare. The reduction, or I should say elimination, of wind on your upper body make for a much more comfortable and less fatiguing ride. I also added a 8" dark smoked FLHTC windshield for better portection in the helmet area.

The combination of pushing the fairing forward and the 8" windshield has made a dramatic difference in the comfort aspect plus the side eliminate the wind on your hands - great anytime but REALLY great when it is cold.

Feel free to ask any questions and I'll answer them the best I can.

In case anyone wanted to know - the bags are Tsukayu Jumbo Strong Bags. Great looking bags with tons of storage and easy to mount.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
I have a 2006 Vulcan 2000 LTD. Has the Star Wars headlight. I have looked into the Corbin versus modifying some other batwing fairing. I asked Corbin whether you could put a dash kit in their unit, and they did not say you could. I am sure it is because of the light having a cover that reaches back to the bars, plus your photos show a very large bracket that would be in the way.

They claimed that the Hogwired stereo kits fit this fairing. But that can't be true if you say speakers don't fit in the areas around the hand grips. (I talked to a technician on the phone). I looked at those kits, don't see how they could fit this fairing especially with the above issue combined with the very low angle it is mounted, leaving less head room than a normal HD fairing.

Also, I have a Kawasaki windshield and lowers. I have great wind protection. I can't see that the batwing is going to beat what I have now. So, for now at least, I am going to stick with what I have since it works great.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks "team5150". Im still deciding.
To "The Heater". Did the lowers help with the buffeting. I have a Memphis Fats 17" windsheild now. I still get a little wind in the eyes. Was thinking about going up to a 19" windshield if I keep the shield intstead of going with the fairing.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
The only issue I have had with the Kawasaki windshield is if there are side winds, my eyes can dry out on hot days, so currently I ride with a full face helmet and the shield is down unless not at freeway speeds.

I can't say I get what I would call "buffeting". I would be fine riding in rain with my set up. My boots would still get wet but I carry overshoes for boots and rain gear if there is a chance of rain or I am on a trip. I think the batwing fairing is nice if it fits like it does on a stock HD Street Glide or Electra Glide. I have ridden a new Street Glide and my only issue was the windshield they had on it was too short and of course the motor is too wimpy.

·
Registered
864 Posts

You out there my friend?
Amazing the impact one guy made on a bunch of us old dudes. BTW Ponch sold is HD before he quit posting on here. Ponch helped me alot , not only on here sharing his knowledge but i was broke down one night in NM and he was who i called. He was on the phone for a long time talking me thru my problem, got it fixed and went on my way. I wonder all the time how he is doing, and its a shame all the newbys dont get to share his wisdom. Bulldozer

1 - 20 of 45 Posts