Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike is a black 07. Garage kept throughout its life. I looked down on the seam on the tank. That ugly sharp edge they blessed us with. And i noticed a bare strip about two inches long and the width of the seam. I slid my hand along the back of the seam and the underside of the tank and several flakes fell off. It seems to be relegated to the left side of the tank. From where the seat meats tank fwd. The metal under the flakes that fell whrn i ran my fingers along it was not rusted. Has anyone else had this problem? The paint crumbled and felt as though i had a dry oak leaf crumbling.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I can see that happening.....I periodically wax under that seam.....a couple of months after I bought the bike...I took a look under there and there was a "trouble spot" that was actually bubbling....I've been waxing ever since....actually, the entire underside of the tank looks like a big rust catcher.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
My first thought was rust, but if there is no rust corrosion present then it sounds like the paint just did not adhere to the tank well. I have had this happen on other surfaces if I did not prep and primier the surface correctly. If it's solely on the back side of the seam, maybe you can clean, prep, prime and touch up the spot (keep it from rusting).

·
Registered
224 Posts
get some chrome tank trim on ebay for about $9.Looks nice on the tank and covers the ugly seam.I made the mistake of starting way under the seat on one side,when I came to the end of the length of trim, I came up about an inch or so short of getting under the seat on the other side.So depending on your seat style,start on one side of the tank just behind where the seat and tank meet to ensure it covers both sides "completly"(and make sure you do it when it is warm outside or in the garage,I did it when it was cooler out and it was a pain in the ass to push it on )

1 - 4 of 4 Posts