Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you guys share your experience with face masks or balaclavas?

Last couple of weekends was well above freezing here and I went for a ride nearly every Sat and Sun. The coldest part of my body after an hour ride was my chin.

I wear a half-face helmet with a shield that goes about an inch above my chin, so the chin bone gets the full blast - not a pleasant feeling after about 20-30 minutes at a decent speed.

I am thinking that instead of buying a full face helmet, I can make the ride much more pleasurable by getting something that covers my chin or the lower part of my face.

Can you guys recommend something?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have a very thin neck warmer that I pull up to my nose it really helps. Unfortunately if I pull it up over my nose my glasses fog up. I also ware a 3/4 helmet with shield.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I wear a full face helmet but my chin is still the coldest part during cold rides. I have a thick camo balaclava from Cabelas that I was wearing before I winterized the bike. It worked well but made my helmet too tight. I have since bought one from a ski store (Sports Authority) I believe. The upper is a thin nylon material sewed to a thicker material that goes around the neck and chin. It fits under the helmet perfectly. I have not had the opportunity to use it yet though.:(

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have a full face helmet but like others here notice the cold on the chin as it comes up the helmet, I use what is called a neck dickie, and it blocks the cold by sealing the area where the wind was coming in, should be able to use with a 3/4 helmet. but I must admit, nice weather I wear a half helmet/skid lid kinda thing, and when it gets colder the full face goes on, the more comfort I feel ridding the better the ride.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I wear a 3/4 helmet with a shield that goes all the way down just like the full helmet. No issues with chin getting cold.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I have a fleece neck warmer and a balaclavas. Usually I can just pull the neck warmer up to my nose and stay warm. It's warmer with the FF helmet but I don't like the helmet so I wear the open face mostly.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I use a full face modular helmet and a neckerchief style neck wrap made for the purpose it has velcro closers at the back.

not having any facial hair, I really need the closure at the neck when it is cold (40 deg or so is as cold as I ride) or I cannot stand it.

My husband, of course, has a full beard and that is apparently great insulation from the cold neck syndrome...:)

·
Registered
84 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
I wear a Columbia neck gaiter and a ff helmet. I have worn the gaiter with a 3/4 w/ a shield and it worked good. I’ve tried the balaclavas I have and my helmets just don’t fit right with one.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I use on of these with a full face helmet in the cold .... (minus temps) goes over your collar and i tuck in around the bottom of my helmet, Under 10 bucks, leave your visor cracked just a fraction to prevent fogging. Cheers Maurice

http://www.jcwhitney.com/
select motorcycle
Select apparel
select masks

look for the microfleece neck walmer ... about the 3rd item down.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
no way. of course I leave the visor slightly open to clear the faceshield at times.... but with something over your nose, your glasses ARE going to fog up in really cold weather. your breath goes right up and out the opening around your eye area and immediately condenses on the glasses. It would take a hurricane to prevent this. Been there, learned that.

, leave your visor cracked just a fraction to prevent fogging.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I wear a full face helmet when it's really cold. I have the full balaclava that goes right over the head and I don't get any fogging up on the faceshield. I prefer this type, since I have tried bandanas etc, and it seems whenever I put the helmet on then the bandanas would slip down and fall down off my chin. They wouldn't stay up and would blow around in the wind. The balaclava I use now is very thin material and stretchy, but it doesn't make my helmet too tight and it works fine with half helmets too. I have a really thick one too, but I say just purchase a thin one first. They are cheap. Only about $5 and up.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a thin balaclava that I wear with a 3/4 and shield and the combo works great. I also have the neoprene face mask that can go over this when it's a really long ride in the 20's. I also have a product called turtle fur which is a thick fleece that goes on the neck up to the nose. This is super warm as well but mostly, even in the 20's on the way to work, I am fine just with the thin balaclava I got from the Army surplus.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I wear a turtle fur neckwarmer with my full face helmet. Makes a world of difference. Their stuff is really soft and warm. Used to wear it snowboarding all the time.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Pearl... just to be clear.....I am talking about glasses fogging up...not the faceshield....

I wear a full face helmet when it's really cold. I have the full balaclava that goes right over the head and I don't get any fogging up on the faceshield. I prefer this type, since I have tried bandanas etc, and it seems whenever I put the helmet on then the bandanas would slip down and fall down off my chin. They wouldn't stay up and would blow around in the wind. The balaclava I use now is very thin material and stretchy, but it doesn't make my helmet too tight and it works fine with half helmets too. I have a really thick one too, but I say just purchase a thin one first. They are cheap. Only about $5 and up.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have to admit I do the whole snow-mobile route with half helmet, baclava, SKI GOGGLES, snowmobile gloves with a decent cuff. I'm usually hot in my one-piece snowsuit. BTW...ski goggles are anti-fog.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I wear a knit scarf. Cheap simple effective.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts