Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For us 750 riders, I have a Plexifaring 3 windscreen. I like it. I'll be fabricating up some lowers to attach underneath to help cut down on head turbulence.

For those interested I can send/post pics and details once completed. I've already got the plexiglass and some of the attachment stuff. Now its a matter of finding time to piddle around.

Its not difficult to do really and I am curious to see how much of a difference it will make.

·
Registered
126 Posts
For us 750 riders, I have a Plexifaring 3 windscreen. I like it. I'll be fabricating up some lowers to attach underneath to help cut down on head turbulence.

For those interested I can send/post pics and details once completed. I've already got the plexiglass and some of the attachment stuff. Now its a matter of finding time to piddle around.

Its not difficult to do really and I am curious to see how much of a difference it will make.
OK, speaking as someone who has spent a lot of time trying to solve problems in ways that didn't have a chance at working, heck, it didn't hurt me a bit and I sometimes learned something.

What do you mean by head turbulence? Is it felt by touch or are you hearing it? If hearing it ear plugs are great for that.

Plexifairing 3 has pretty good built-in lower extensions on it (much better than any normal cruiser windshield). Head turbulence is normally associated with what is happening at the top of the fairing. Are you sure the buffeting air is coming from down below? Use your hands while riding in a safe place to feel the air pressure changes. I had a Plexifairing 2 many years ago on a Honda Nighthawk 750 and in my memory it worked great.

If memory serves there was a little bit of play in the Plexis' mounting system so you could alter the angle a bit. I would think a bit more tilt toward the rider at the top would smooth out the air flow.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the screen does extend down low and that's one of the reasons I like it so much. I've had it on for quite a few years. Over that time for assorted reasons I have altered the angle-of-attack and haven't really determined that any one specific lean is better than any other angle.

The new lowers, once completed and tested, may make no difference for all I know. But what the hell! Its fun to do so we'll see what affect it has on things.

To answer your question on what I meant by head turbulence, I mean the physical buffeting of the head. Its not enough to bother me over the short haul but a true long distance ride might be a different matter. And no, I'm not sure the wind is coming from underneath but I don't really care, actually. This is really an experiment just for giggles and if nothing else it would extend the bottom edge of the screen a bit more.

Even if it makes no difference to my specific application, others may want to get adventurous and make some for their application. Its always nice to see someone else's product first for ideas on how-to-do your own project. And.... it adds a bit of unique-ness to your own machine.

·
Registered
203 Posts
As an experiment, I installed some lowers on my Honda Tourer. Just took a piece of Lexan, 8x10, cut it in half to make 2 8x5 and bolted them on. The Tourer has a large shield that extends pretty far down...lower than the turn signals, and isn't adjustable at all. I was getting some head buffeting and this cured it completely....smooth as glass now. Ordered the Rifle lowers for the T and will be putting them on next week.

On my Nomad, changing shield angle hasn't done anything to change the buffeting I have. And yes, it's coming under the shield....arm "salute" at upper chest can feel the flow.

Good luck on your project. You might want to check out the Rifle lowers for the shape of the lowers. The ones for my Tourer are larger than the Nomads. Look really good.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I might have them on by the end of this weekend. Damn this particular type of plexiglass is HARD. I took a sander to the edges to smooth them out and it barely did anything.
I'll need my trusty roto-tool to finish up the inside curves. I'll drill the holes for the bolts tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lowers installed! Very solid. Looks decent enough but the job wasn't done entirely to my liking. I thought I had more roto-tool attachments to help me smooth out some slots I needed to make but I didn't have them. So there are a few rough spots on it even though you have to really look to find them.

I was going to take before and after pics but I'll be darned if I know where my camera ran off to. Once I find it I'll post the "after" pics here.

Next up on the agenda: Remove and replace the original right rear turn signal housing with one I got in e-bay (original style). Reason: My original one does not like to keep the LED units plugged in for some reason.

Then: Remove the front wheel, then break tire bead loose so I can seriously wash and inspect the entire rim. Also wash the tire all the way around, inspect and reinstall the tire to see if it holds pressure. This tire was on at least a year before it started developing small air leaks all around the rim. Its not old so a close inspection of both rim and tire bead area is in order. It'll go flat in a day and is driving me nuts.

But my lowers are on now!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In another thread I described how I dropped the bike in my garage yesterday. Damn the bad luck! The only damage to the bike was the left side new lower that I had just installed a bit over a week earlier.
It was snapped in half.
The good thing was that the remaining part still attached, didn't budge a bit. So from that I can surmise that the attaching strength is enough to handle any wind pressure that I care to put on it.
Aside from now having to replace the broken one, I had also decided a few hours prior to the drop event, was that I need to modify it a bit to allow more upward travel of the fork.
I had notched the original design out to allow maybe 3 to 4 inches of travel. I think I need to allow for at least another inch's worth of movement.
So I'll be removing them and modifying thusly.
More to come as I get around to doing it.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I'm healed up enough from dropping the bike a few weeks back that I finally went into the garage laaaaaaaaate last night to work on a new design to the lowers. Fished them about 03:30 this morning. All I have left to do is install them sometimes today.

Can't actually test how they work until the blasted WET North West spring decides to be dry some. But the next time I roll anywhere, they'll be on. :)

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That should say FINISHED them, not FISHED them.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, today I took a short ride to test them out. Any buffeting to my head seems to be gone but I didn't test that at freeway speeds yet. There does seem to be a bit more air blowing around my feet. Or that may just be because I am paying more attention to that.

Anyway, I'm happy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts