Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Belt broke on #1 bike this weekend, less than 7000 miles on it, I'm POed.
Anyone have an aftermarket belt they are using, don't care to give Kaw $380 for a belt. I read some where that someone was using a BDL Sales belt 133T, is it holding up, please chime in.
Any other suggestions.
Dogg

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Smed, can't say for sure looked like a clean break between cogs.

The part number you sent me, have you used this belt? What is best kevlar or carbon fiber?
thanks

·
Registered
702 Posts
According to Kaw corporate in CA, some years ago they claimed I was the very first to break a V2K belt. Back then, there were no aftermarket belts yet, dealers got $500 for them.

·
Registered
702 Posts
near our home in MS, the county is too cheap to use asphalt on most county roads. Instead, they spray hot tar and then dump pea gravel. They do NOT pack or sweep the road. For months, you'll have very tacky pea gravel which gets slung up and into your belt and pulley, punching a hole which then is followed by the belt breaking right there.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Belt broke on #1 bike this weekend, less than 7000 miles on it, I'm POed.
Anyone have an aftermarket belt they are using, don't care to give Kaw $380 for a belt. I read some where that someone was using a BDL Sales belt 133T, is it holding up, please chime in.
Any other suggestions.
Dogg
I've put over 10K miles on my V2K with the BDL-SPC-133 carbon fiber belt and its been holding up just fine.

·
Registered
269 Posts
near our home in MS, the county is too cheap to use asphalt on most county roads. Instead, they spray hot tar and then dump pea gravel. They do NOT pack or sweep the road. For months, you'll have very tacky pea gravel which gets slung up and into your belt and pulley, punching a hole which then is followed by the belt breaking right there.
That's a real bummer. :(

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sarge, all belt guards are on the bike. Belt order was changed to kevlar since carbon fiber belt is now special order and was not redily available. Was told they had never had a kevlar belt break...sure hope I'm not going to be the first.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I had a rock work it's way through my belt some 2 years ago and have put on some 20000 klms with no ill effects. For me to replace a belt here in Australia it will cost me around the $ 1000.00 mark whereas a belt from the states less than half of that. I did price a panther belt or even go down the indutrial belt route. Gates are the preferred belt for these bikes and also make the best industrial belts in the world. I hope in all works out. see attached pic of my belt 2 years ago and nothing has changed. In fact I just came back from a 21 day 6300 klm trip with no problems.

Cheers and Beers

Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
damn,,, It sucks beingthe first.... was it a manufactoring issue... I would hope so.... other wise many of us would have same issue... and be out $500,,,hopefully yours was the exception out of that factory. so sorry for yor trouble

·
Registered
44 Posts
My buddy had his break last year on our way to Virginia. Clean break like a knife. As it was a holiday weekend no kawi dealer would help so he bought a Harley belt, 133 tooth, 1 1/2 inch wide...half the price and had a warranty.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 16 of 16 Posts