Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S SE
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took my new Vulcan s 650 in for its first service. As I felt a little cramped I asked them to change the foot controls from mid to extended reach. They did it but didn’t change the link bar. So I now have extended reach controls with mid reach shift bar. Being that this is my first bike I’m not shore if this is normal. I’m a little confused as to why there is different length link bars available if they are not needed or should it have been changed?????

·
Registered
699 Posts
Did you measure the shift rod? There's only 25mm difference between each setting. R+G do a proper ext reach kit that can add up to +50mm beyond the standard ext reach setting.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If they didn’t swap the shift rod they didn’t do it correctly.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
If they didn't change the shifter rod I am surprised that your toes fit under the shifter

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If they didn't change the shifter rod I am surprised that your toes fit under the shifter
Well I just noticed today wearing new boots that it’s pretty tight to get my toe in to up shift. Wasn’t really a problem wearing sneakers lol.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just did the same thing and the only way to get the mid reach rod to work was to pull the shift lever off the shift shaft that goes into the engine and position it to the 8 oclock position. That is a no-no so I ordered 1 ex reach rod off ebay. Talked to a tech at the dealer that assembles the bikes out of the crate and he told me only the short and mid reach rods are all that come with them. The parts guy could only find short and mid reach in his computer so I went to ebay. When it makes it here I will post whether I got lucky or not. Do not understand why if they offer the extended reach on the bike why an extended reach rod cannot be with the bike in the crate.

Reactions: ldjessee

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just did the same thing and the only way to get the mid reach rod to work was to pull the shift lever off the shift shaft that goes into the engine and position it to the 8 oclock position. That is a no-no so I ordered 1 ex reach rod off ebay. Talked to a tech at the dealer that assembles the bikes out of the crate and he told me only the short and mid reach rods are all that come with them. The parts guy could only find short and mid reach in his computer so I went to ebay. When it makes it here I will post whether I got lucky or not. Do not understand why if they offer the extended reach on the bike why an extended reach rod cannot be with the bike in the crate.
Yes that seems to be what they did with mine. I went to my local dealer and he had an extended rod in stock. He also said the guys that changed my pegs without changing the rod obviously had no idea what they were doing. It only took 10 minutes to change the shift rod put the shift linkage back to the position it should be in and now I have a heap of adjustment to play with. Much better.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had the opposite happen to me. They gave me the extended reach rod, but left the pegs in the mid reach set up. Made it impossible to shift, so they had to change it out to right position.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Extended shift rod came in the mail today and now on the bike. Gonna give it a try tomorrow.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Sometimes, no matter how you change it, people just can't make it happen. I know a few who have ridden sport style bikes only that simply can't transition to feet forward cruisers and feel comfortable. It's not a bad thing. Everyone has the freedom of choice and their own comfort level. I respect that.

·
Registered
80 Posts
With only 293 miles on the little "S" I will learn to deal with the forward controls. It has a rider backrest so hopefully it should make it easier to ride - hopefully.

·
Registered
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S, 2020 Kawasaki Z900
133 Posts
The Vulcan S is the first cruiser I have ever ridden, so the forward controls were certainly a bit awkward for a minute, but after about a half hour I got pretty comfortable with it. Considering I ride my Z900 much more and have always had sport bikes I was pretty happy to get accustomed to the difference rather easily. Now I can hop on either bike and my mind is trained on which way I need to orient myself quickly, although when going from Vulcan to Z my left foot wants to lift a lot higher when upshifting! The shifter travel difference is pretty big and the only thing that sometimes catches me off guard now.

·
Registered
80 Posts
63 mile ride today just to see how it feels. I have to give the Baby-V credit as it is kinda of a fun little bike. The rider backrest made the forward controls easy to deal with but it has been a long time since I spent any time on a naked bike. Windy as can be today and no wind protection means I kinda got beat up a little but the little bike did not care and just kept going. Hiway was 5500 to 6000 rpm cruising so zipping along is not a problem. Does not have a problem with corners and the brakes work better than I thought. I am 5ft 9in at 245 lbs and that seems to make the suspension a tad soft and bouncy. I guess other than figuring out what to use for a throttle lock that I could not really complain about the Baby-V.

Reactions: BlueRibbonRM
1 - 13 of 13 Posts