Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Vulcan 900 Classic SE
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I've determined that my most comfortable setup is 10" mini apes on top of 6" pullback risers, and I understand that new cables are a must for this. Currently I have the stock beach bars on the 6" risers and that has totally maxxed-out the cable length already.

Any idea how I should calculate/estimate proper cable length to buy? I know baron has custom sizing and ultimately I would like to thread the cables through the bars and don't want a whole lot of excess wire hanging around.

Thanks!

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
+4" should be sufficient for 10" apes. I have 12" bars on 6" risers with 1" pullback and went with +8" but could have gone with +6" and been safe. The way the cables are made I seriously doubt you could thread them through the bars, however the wiring can be done that way.

·
Registered
2012 Vulcan 900 Classic SE
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't forget to take into account the risers — I'm noticing a lot of the sites are sizing by bar size, so would a 10" ape plus a 6" riser (4" up, 1" back) require a 16" handlebar cable kit? I guess technically my rise is 14" but I wouldn't want to chance having the 12" too short.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
Can't forget to take into account the risers — I'm noticing a lot of the sites are sizing by bar size, so would a 10" ape plus a 6" riser (4" up, 1" back) require a 16" handlebar cable kit? I guess technically my rise is 14" but I wouldn't want to chance having the 12" too short.
If you're talking about the Baron's set that is for '12-14" bars' I wouldn't know for sure if that "kit' would work or not. I know the ones I bought for my bike were $225 shipped at +8" over stock, or any length over stock actually. Granted they were for black cables but for $40 more you get stainless which still is less than the Baron's sets. To find out exactly how long of cables you need, it's best to get your bars first, test fit them, and then measure for the cable length. Watch this video here and at about 1:50 they show how to measure for how much extra you'll need, both for wires and cables. It's the most fool proof way of finding out. I measured mine this way and ordered +8" in case I wanted to go higher at some point, and since my bars are 12" with 6" risers and could have went with +6" cables, +4" should be enough for 10" apes with 6" risers (simple math). In the video they talk to you like you're a 5 year old, but the info is still pretty good. Hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts