Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've made my first proto and I'm interested to know if anyone else would be keen to purchase one of these.

I noticed that the existing OEM Solo rack isn't very practical and unable to take any serious load because the bolts are in the middle only, and make it weak on the sides under weight.

The rack pictured is stainless steel as per the image and comes with required hardware.
There are 5 fixing points including the seat bolt in the centre. No modifications required using existing bolt points of bike.

It's the full length and slightly wider than the rear fender which means you can use it for strap on saddle bags.

It might not be everyones taste aesthetically but I'm targeting the need for people wanting good equipment for touring with a large amount of luggage or a reliable platform to mount a top box.

It's relatively light weight at about 2kg and can support my 95kg without buckling when I stand up on it while its fitted.

I will be supplying these as raw stainless so there will be very faint press marks on the bends. It will be very easy to paint with some light prep work to the surface for those wanting to colour match for themselves.

Pricing TBA but I'm aiming for about the same as what you would pay for the existing OEM Solo Rack.

Contact me directly if you're interested and I will be able to ship worldwide from Australia.

·
Registered
2015 Vulcan S
47 Posts
While I see it's being used for supporting the front of the rack, wouldn't using the seat bolt impede access to the OEM toolkit, battery, and fuse box?

Looks great otherwise, I'm curious if it could be tweaked to work with the OEM fixed saddlebag brackets.

·
Registered
82 Posts
While I see it's being used for supporting the front of the rack, wouldn't using the seat bolt impede access to the OEM toolkit, battery, and fuse box?

Looks great otherwise, I'm curious if it could be tweaked to work with the OEM fixed saddlebag brackets.
I'm not sure the seat bolt attachment point is necessary? My custom rack uses that bolt, but only has 2 other mounting points... the rear frame bolts as used here, so without the seat bolt the rack pivots. But it looks like you've got 4 solid attachments already. Just a suggestion, but you could cut another hexagonal hole over the seat bolt to allow access to it when needed, and not use that as an attachment point? Great work 👍! And love the idea of being able to mount a top box! If I didn't already have a rack, I'd be interested.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Overall it looks nice, and functional for mounting top box, throw over saddlebags, etc. I think it would look nice powder-coated black, or other color of choice.

I'm trying to figure out how the tail lights fit in there. And, do you have a regular tail, or is that a tail tidy underneath it?

Thanks - Gerry

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The seat bolt forms part of the structure and to cut that section away opens up further problems.
Without giving too much away, my design will enable the same allen key wrench to remove the seat quickly when the luggage rack has no load.
I appreciate the feedback from everyone. I'll reveal more once I have some good videos and pictures of the final product.

Unfortunately though I will only be offering the bare silver option for now. I chose stainless to remove the need for paint to protect from corrosion.
It also helps keep the price down and removes the amount of chemical exposure (and mess) I'd have in my home garage.
The small amount of paint required to bling a single rack can easily be done by the buyer and leaves the choice of colour, paint type, finish, number of coats etc up to their personal preference to make it their own unique item.

·
Registered
'05 800B
2,110 Posts
I like the powder coat it black idea by Gerry

·
Registered
268 Posts
... The small amount of paint required to bling a single rack can easily be done by the buyer and leaves the choice of colour, paint type, finish, number of coats etc up to their personal preference to make it their own unique item.
Yes, exactly! Very easily customizable if desired!

·
Registered
2015 Vulcan S
47 Posts
The seat bolt forms part of the structure and to cut that section away opens up further problems.
Without giving too much away, my design will enable the same allen key wrench to remove the seat quickly when the luggage rack has no load.
Can the seat be removed without removing the side bolts?
If not, there lies the issue I'm pointing out - one would have to carry that size wrench somewhere other than with the factory toolkit under the seat.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can the seat be removed without removing the side bolts?
If not, there lies the issue I'm pointing out - one would have to carry that size wrench somewhere other than with the factory toolkit under the seat.
Yes

·
Registered
224 Posts
Your invention has its plus's&minus's-(+/-);PLUS=IT LOOKS PRETTY STURDY/Minus,Well I beleive I'd make some kinda way to use the seat bolt mount universal in 1 way or another,I actually think thats Possible. *Kudo's to your idea:) Did toy ever think about makin it out of regular steel? That would be easier to paint,&Probably just as strong:) (y) :whistle::love::cool:

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Your invention has its plus's&minus's-(+/-);PLUS=IT LOOKS PRETTY STURDY/Minus,Well I beleive I'd make some kinda way to use the seat bolt mount universal in 1 way or another,I actually think thats Possible. *Kudo's to your idea:) Did toy ever think about makin it out of regular steel? That would be easier to paint,&Probably just as strong:) (y) :whistle::love::cool:
Thanks for the compliments John.
After many years in manufacturing my main objective for this was practicality and durabilty. The OEM rack looks nicer but lacks the 2 critcal elements of its purpose.
I was in the garage today working on another project and I modified some hard panier brackets I bought made for another bike.
After I cut through the new never fitted mild steel powder coated tube steel it reveal not only rust on the inside of the welded tube, but also rust under the extenal paint job. Alot of it too. Basically a cancerous timebomb within a brand new product just waiting to come out.
To do a proper job coating mild steel required surface prep before painting, all of which adds to labour. I don't have a large scale production facility or a 3rd world country to do this and keep the cost down. Stainless keeps it simple and ready to go.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the compliments John.
After many years in manufacturing my main objective for this was practicality and durabilty. The OEM rack looks nicer but lacks the 2 critcal elements of its purpose.
I was in the garage today working on another project and I modified some hard panier brackets I bought made for another bike.
After I cut through the new never fitted mild steel powder coated tube steel it reveal not only rust on the inside of the welded tube, but also rust under the extenal paint job. Alot of it too. Basically a cancerous timebomb within a brand new product just waiting to come out.
To do a proper job coating mild steel required surface prep before painting, all of which adds to labour. I don't have a large scale production facility or a 3rd world country to do this and keep the cost down. Stainless keeps it simple and ready to go.
I'd be keen on this as an option for throw over saddle bags that I wont keep on the bike day to day. how much were you thinking?

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm finalising the design and will let you know once I have accounted for all costs. I also have a second design I'm working on which you might like depending on you application.
Thanks for the feedback. I'll let you know once I've got some finished product.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'm finalising the design and will let you know once I have accounted for all costs. I also have a second design I'm working on which you might like depending on you application.
Thanks for the feedback. I'll let you know once I've got some finished product.
I(Hopefullt WE) hope you will include some pictures w/your feedback. Also,just a small note-I currently have the Kawasaki saddlebag mounts on my bike/DO YOU THINK IT IS POSSIBLE TO MAKE A RACK THAT CAN MOUNT TO THE TO THE KAW SADDLEBAG BRACKETS? Very interested-Thanx\RIDE SAFE&KEEP THE RUBBER ON THE ROAD:)
(y) :love::cool:(y):giggle::D

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I(Hopefullt WE) hope you will include some pictures w/your feedback. Also,just a small note-I currently have the Kawasaki saddlebag mounts on my bike/DO YOU THINK IT IS POSSIBLE TO MAKE A RACK THAT CAN MOUNT TO THE TO THE KAW SADDLEBAG BRACKETS? Very interested-Thanx\RIDE SAFE&KEEP THE RUBBER ON THE ROAD:)
(y) :love::cool:(y):giggle::D
Send me a link so I can see which Kawaki bracket you mean.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Fixed brackets: 99994-0819
KQR brackets: 99994-0523B
The KQR brackets (99994-0523B) are required to fit the secondary item, KQR Saddlebag supports 99994-0521B which can be bought separately.
I'm 99% sure these Supports will be able to be fitted to the sides of my Solo Rack but I need to confirm this.
I'm expecting my rack to cost less than the KQR Bracket 99994-0523B alone so this item won't be needed. The only other purpose for the Brackets would be for the KQR passenger Back Rest which is also no longer required.

I have the Fixed Brackets 99994-0819 at home but these won't fit onto my Solo Rack without modification but very possible.

Unless you can pick up the OEM accessories second hand they're typically very expensive and recently have been hard to source due to limited stock levels.
Most people like the Viking style bags which will bolt straight onto my Solo Rack otherwise there are other generic Saddle Bag Support frames that will also work.
I'm also looking into being able to use the Givi mounting brackets which will open up alot more side case options for the serious tourer.

Do you have any of these side brackets?

·
Registered
2015 Vulcan S
47 Posts
Unless you can pick up the OEM accessories second hand they're typically very expensive and recently have been hard to source due to limited stock levels.

Do you have any of these side brackets?
Sourcing OEM accessories doesn't seem to be a problem here in the states, though I agree that the factory accessories aren't worth it. My bike came with the OEM premium bags and fixed brackets - they are great, but not $600+ great.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm pleased to announce that my first batch is for sale.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts