Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys , i am getting ready to pull the trigger and change to a ct rear , and rear mc front. I am riding a 06 V2K Classic LT , hard bags , full fairing ,2up sometimes. It does have a hitch but i can remove if needed. I'm really looking to see what most are running without problems rubbing etc , as some threads post rubbing issues and some don't ?? I like the taller rear ( 60 ) for dropping a few rpm , just concerned with width i guess. And for fronts , whats working good for ya , what to stay away from? i know there are lots of posts , but some are fairly dated.
TIA

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
I've got a 215/60r16 ct on mine. No issues.

·
Registered
101 Posts
215/55r16 on mine. I thought I read somewhere that the 225, not sure if 55 or 60, will rub the fender bolts.

·
V2K Rogue Wrangler
1,112 Posts
I have 225/60, some minor rubbing on belt side where a bolt head made a shallow groove in the sidewall just below the tread. No problems after 17k miles. Expect another 10k with same tire. A 215/60 would not rub. That is what I will get next. Also depends on the tire shape. Some have square corners while some are more rounded.

·
Registered
228 Posts
just wondering why you would want to go with a 225 over a 215 0r 205, 215 60 r16, 215 is the width of the tread patch in mm, 60 is your aspect ratio so 225 x.6 is the height of the tire from the rim lip. if you want taller look for 205 65 r16, that would be taller just not as wide.

Wider is not better with DS wider will cause more counter steer becasue the wider tire will not deflect as much and constaly want to right the bike. just a thought.

·
Registered
220 Posts
001.jpg
I run a Sumitomo 225/60-16 rear at 30 psi. Looks great but after about 8000 miles, if I was going to do it over again, I would go with a 215/60-16 Goodyear Triple Tread. 225 looks great and I'm used to the handling but you really have to work in the twisties. There isn't much clearance from the inner fender and the rear fender brace bolts rub a bit. Also, since I'm not considered a light weight (250 lbs) and I never ride 2-up, I had to stiffen the rear shock to it's maximum and raise the damping rate to keep from bottoming out when hitting rough pavement. I'm very satisfied with what I have now and I'll probably get 20K out of the current tire. If it's a mileage issue, go with the 215. Looks, can't beat the 225.

·
V2K Rogue Wrangler
1,112 Posts
View attachment 105362

I run a Sumitomo 225/60-16 rear at 30 psi. Looks great but after about 8000 miles, if I was going to do it over again, I would go with a 215/60-16 Goodyear Triple Tread. 225 looks great and I'm used to the handling but you really have to work in the twisties. There isn't much clearance from the inner fender and the rear fender brace bolts rub a bit. Also, since I'm not considered a light weight (250 lbs) and I never ride 2-up, I had to stiffen the rear shock to it's maximum and raise the damping rate to keep from bottoming out when hitting rough pavement. I'm very satisfied with what I have now and I'll probably get 20K out of the current tire. If it's a mileage issue, go with the 215. Looks, can't beat the 225.

I have the exact same tire at 17k and still plenty of life left. I run it at 40 psi with Ride-On TPS in it for balancing and sealing against punctures. It rides great but I'll go to a 215/60 after this one - unless I trade it for a Roadmaster.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have the exact same tire at 17k and still plenty of life left. I run it at 40 psi with Ride-On TPS in it for balancing and sealing against punctures. It rides great but I'll go to a 215/60 after this one - unless I trade it for a Roadmaster.
Tried it at first at 38 psi and didn't like the way the rear of the bike came up in the corners. Finally settled at 30-32 psi. Ride is comfortable, turns are manageable and judging by tire wear, the tire likes it. It's all a matter of personal taste. Best mod you can make on this bike IMHO. Know what you mean about the Roadmaster. Spent an hour on a friends ZX14 and now I want one too. Bob

·
Registered
202 Posts
I am running a 215/60, slight rubbing bolt heads on left (belt side), probably due to having the hitch in place. When time to change, I will probably go with a more rounded profile in a 205/65, to keep the rubbing down and alleviate some of the "stand up" in turns.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no mounters :-( running the mc tire

Well , i couldn't find anyone to mount the car tire. I already ordered the front ( commander 2 150/80/16) , then to find out commander not available in a 200 series for rear , so i am now going with an avon cobra 200/60/16 rear & a commander 2 150/80/16 front!....lol , i don't really like having the 2 different tires , but also , don't really see any prob. If the Michelin had a 200/60/16 , i would have gone with that , and the avon front is sold out. Kay sera sera...lol

·
Registered
578 Posts
You have to go to some little hole in the wall tire shop to get one installed.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a Goodyear triple tread 225/60/16 on my 05 VN2000. It rubbed a little on the front inner plastic fender but it only took a little while to "get seated". I got 38,000 miles out of it and am changing it to a General g-max 225/50/16 a little smaller aspect.
Klink

1 - 14 of 14 Posts