Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have a 04 Mean streak 1600. I got it tuned a year or so ago without baffles in a Vance & Hines big shot staggered exhaust. I recently just put on new V&H big shot staggered exhaust with baffles that are technically for a 04 Vulcan Classic so they are a little longer pipes then the Mean streak pipes. The question is, will this hurt anything engine wise, being they are a little longer pipe and have the baffles in now?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Won't cause any engine issues, in fact it'll probably make the bike run a bit cooler. Obviously you had no issues going from the stock Mean Streak exhaust to the V&H Big Shots without baffles, unless the issue now is how loud it would be without any baffles at all. Longer pipes have little impact other than very slightly moving the power in the RPM curve. Same for baffles. Removing baffles or adding baffles, aside from changing the sounds, it moves where the power (torque) peak occurs in the RPM range more than anything else.

If your bike has a Power Commander or similar device, it may have to be re-mapped to adjust for the slightly higher back pressure of the pipes with the baffles. I recently installed V&H Super Quiet baffles in the Big Shots mounted on my VN1600 Classic, and all it did was change the power curve slightly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you andyvh1959 for the info. I bought the bike with the V&H exhaust on it already. Don't know if the guy did any tuning or anything. I do have a PClll with K&N air filter. It just seems to shake unusually alot at 2000 rpms and I feel its wound out at 70mph in 5th gear, seems like its not wanting to get up and go. Also, I'm running 3500-4000rpms in 5th. Sorry if none of this made sense.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Well its a v-twin, and even with balancers in the engine it does shake some. I have a VN1600 Classic and I rarely ride at any engine rpm below 2250. 2000 rpm when riding means you are in too low a gear for the speed you are at. Right now my Vulcan has no 2nd gear, so I have to shift from 1st twice to get into 3rd gear, and if my speed is not up enough it does shake as I ease into 3rd at low rpms.

I wonder if you are in 4th gear when at speed, because on my VN1600 at 80 mph I get about 3500 rpm, with power to spare.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm definitly in 5th. I guess I have the extra power there in 5th to punch it and go it just sounds like its to high of rpms and just feels funny. I'm sure it's all good, I get over worried on things that aren't that big a deal. Thanks for the input though.

·
Registered
279 Posts
These Vulcan engines will spin. I have no issue taking mine to 4000+ rpm.

Perhaps what you feel is an issue of breathing. All engines breathe much like we do. If an engine intake and exhaust is set up for high rpm breathing (like an open exhaust/no baffles) it makes good power at the top, 1/3 to wide open throttle. But at the same time its a pooch at midrange engine speeds. If an engine intake and exhaust is set up for real world riding of mid range rpm breathing, the bikes makes great usable power for in city and highway, but gives up the power at the top 1/4 of the rpm range.

You just have to decide where you want the best power for the way you ride, and get the intake, exhaust, fuel system tuned to that need. You'll enjoy the bike a lot more if you do that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts