Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at the exhaust and was wondering if any one has done away with cross over tube on the stock exhaust when they de baffled them I am thinking of giving it a shot before buying some Cobra's.

·
Registered
295 Posts
It would be difficult to plug or remove that crossover tube, and counterproductive, too. It's there for better performance, almost like having a 2 into 1 exhaust.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am thinking of de baffling mine as well and have seen that it would be easy enough to do. I am curious as to what most peoples reactions/results were after doing this. Is it pretty comparable to the aftermarket pipes? Is there need for additional equipment to regulate air and fuel flow?

·
Registered
295 Posts
I am thinking of de baffling mine as well and have seen that it would be easy enough to do. I am curious as to what most peoples reactions/results were after doing this. Is it pretty comparable to the aftermarket pipes? Is there need for additional equipment to regulate air and fuel flow?
If you do a search you'll find more than enough info on de-baffling, there's even YouTube videos on how to do it. I did mine (punched out the center, and drilled holes in the end plate) and I like it just fine the way it is. It's louder (I couldn't hear it on the highway before) but not too loud. Oh, and no fuel processor is necessary.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It would be difficult to plug or remove that crossover tube, and counterproductive, too. It's there for better performance, almost like having a 2 into 1 exhaust.

It would be very easy to cut the tube off and mig weld a plug in the hole.
I don't believe I have seen any of the after market 2 into 2 have this balance tube so why would it be any different than those.
Thanks

·
Registered
851 Posts
My father inlaw did it to his VTX1300, they made a plug kit for his. Not sure if they make a kit for the 9, he thought it was a standard size plug.

·
Registered
295 Posts
It would be very easy to cut the tube off and mig weld a plug in the hole.
I don't believe I have seen any of the after market 2 into 2 have this balance tube so why would it be any different than those.
Thanks
Most of us don't have a MIG welder sitting in the garage. :cool:
Some 2 into 2 systems have a balance tube but it's hidden well, and others don't have one at all, they're true 2 into 2.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have Cobra Speedster Shorts and they have a Crossover. I agree with Mini NSX questioning why you would want to remove it. What do you think it would gain for you if you removed it?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have Cobra Speedster Shorts and they have a Crossover. I agree with Mini NSX questioning why you would want to remove it. What do you think it would gain for you if you removed it?
I was thinking of debaffling the stock exhaust.
I have installed many aftermarket pipes over the years on different bikes and have never seen a set with a balance tube so was just thinking there must be a reason.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts