Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I am a new member to this site just picked up a 2011 Vulcan 900 custom ... I am thinking about getting a set of cobra pipes. I want to make the bike loud and deep ... so i was looking at dragster pipes.

Who else makes a loud deep sounding pipe for a good price?

:drool:

·
Registered
135 Posts
I really like the Road Burner Street Pros bought off of ebay for 325 chrome 350 black.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have the Hard Krome classics on my '06 Vulcan classic and love'm. It has a real nice sound to them,a little loud for some peoples taste...they are loud but I don't think ridiculously loud. They sound great while riding,and at a stop.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the cobra slashdowns on the custom. Sometimes I think they may be a lttle loud, then I ride with some harley guys and I no longer think that :)

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Hi guys I am a new member to this site just picked up a 2011 Vulcan 900 custom ... I am thinking about getting a set of cobra pipes. I want to make the bike loud and deep ... so i was looking at dragster pipes.

Who else makes a loud deep sounding pipe for a good price?

:drool:
Welcome to the forum. Feel free to post anything regarding your new ride that you may think interesting or have questions about. I too have the Cobra slashdown's and even though I like the sound, they are a bit too loud for my tastes. Keep in mind that everyone has a different opinion of what sounds good. You might try searching on You Tube for a particular make and then decide which way to go.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I have the cobra slashdowns on the custom. Sometimes I think they may be a lttle loud, then I ride with some harley guys and I no longer think that :)
Hi thanks for the info

I been looking at cobra pipes I found a good deal on VANCE & HINES pipes and I like how they have a side cut almost like stock. Are they loud and can they be quieted down with new baffles ?

Also I really like hypercharge intake. I already ordered a power commender today. This is my first cruiser I always had street bikes and just sold my Honda repsol 1000cc and got vulcan 900 custom so this is little slow but with little mods it should move

Def much nicer ride then a sport bike and I like how its all black .. I am happy with it ..

I drilled 3/8. 8 holes in each pipe It got little more dipper when I give it gas but I want little more while driving and in idle

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Welcome to the forum. Feel free to post anything regarding your new ride that you may think interesting or have questions about. I too have the Cobra slashdown's and even though I like the sound, they are a bit too loud for my tastes. Keep in mind that everyone has a different opinion of what sounds good. You might try searching on You Tube for a particular make and then decide which way to go.
I found great clips on YouTube but i am having a hard time making up my mind ... I am leaning towards VANCE & HINES pipes

Cobra slashdowns look great I also was looking at cobra dragster pipe

·
Registered
782 Posts
I've got the Cobra Dragsters. And the do sound amazing. My Hog buddies even said they were loud. However, I personally found them to be painfully loud at cruising speed. I didn't mind them being loud under acceleration and they weren't anything ridiculous at idle. But from 55-70mph, that high end pop really got bad and was really hurting my ears. I installed the Quiet Core baffle and am now very pleased with the sound. The new baffles effectively got rid of the high end pop which I think let some of the deeper sound come through as well.

Something you may want to look at is the Speedster Longs. If you don't change the baffle, this will at least put the sound a bit farther behind you and maybe not so painful. Another thing to think about is that it seems like larger diameter pipes give deeper tones. So a 3" set of pipes may sound deeper than 2.25" pipes.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I have Slashdowns on my Classic and I like them. One of the differences between the Speedster series and the Dragsters is that with Speedsters you have a crossover tube in the mufflers. Cobra claims this gives you some of the 2 into 1 benefits while still keeping the traditional look.

What I see around some of the forums is people with Slashdowns who take the tips off so they look similar to the Dragsters. Maybe it's for you, maybe it's not.

Here are pictures from my installation, first one without the tips, second one with the tips so you can see the difference.

Without tips:

With tips:

·
Registered
782 Posts
Here are some pics of the Dragsters on my bike. Now that I have the QuietCore baffle, I really love them. From the look to the sound, they are great. The Speedsters may give better power because of the cross-over tube, but I'm not racing her anyway. I think this and the dog bowl intake have made her into a real classic scooter.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys for the pictures both bike look great ... I am still waiting for couple shops to call me back with pice i found V&H online for $360 shipped and cobra is around $400 + shipping :confused:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The bike is coming together slowly I will post some pictures up this weekend

Items I got and getting ready to install

Kuryakyn grips with spikes on the end
Kuryakyn Brake and shift cover
Integrated tail light with blinkers
Side mount plate braket
Black hypercharger with red flaps
Cobra dragster exhaust