Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installing new Vance and Hines exhaust. I pulled the stock exhaust off and it said I could use old gaskets if possible, however, I don't see a gasket or gaskets anywhere. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
107 Posts
You had to have had gaskets. May be stuck to end of pipes. Just buy new ones. Don't buy nice pipes and cheap out on gaskets. Clean area well. Install gaskets then tighten to spec...done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just used a small stiff nylon brush. Was not much to clean.

A crush gasket is used here. A hollow metal ring that crushes between the head and header pipe to conform to imperfections. They are probably in the head, but look like they are part of it. If you look close you should see a seam about 1/16" into the exhaust hole. A thin hook or pick should be enough to separate it if it is there. Could also be stuck to the header as mentioned by Borsato.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Ya. Just remove the dirt and clean it up a it. I used a scraper and gently cleaned it up. The a brush then rag. I should have specified they were aluminum gaskets. Cheap to buy.

·
Registered
49 Posts
i just installed mine a few days ago...i dont remember seeing any gaskets either..

·
Registered
136 Posts
If they were installed right they were in there. I thought the same when I put new pipes on. The gaskets were smashed so tight it looked like nothing was in there till I used a pick and was able to pop them off.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If they were installed right they were in there. I thought the same when I put new pipes on. The gaskets were smashed so tight it looked like nothing was in there till I used a pick and was able to pop them off.
Were they inside the heads?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You were right. Thanks for the help. I used a pick and they were there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts