Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone wrapped their exhaust with heat wrap? I'm starting to look for a winter project or two, and I'm gonna have the exhaust off to fix my neutral sensor. I was considering wrapping the pipes, but the opinions from all the smart people on the internet are very divided.

My pipes are V&H Powershots. They're almost completely covered with heat shields, so the cosmetics would barely be affected.

Thoughts?

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Has anyone wrapped their exhaust with heat wrap? I'm starting to look for a winter project or two, and I'm gonna have the exhaust off to fix my neutral sensor. I was considering wrapping the pipes, but the opinions from all the smart people on the internet are very divided.

My pipes are V&H Powershots. They're almost completely covered with heat shields, so the cosmetics would barely be affected.

Thoughts?
bb's, I tossed my tins and wrapped the stock headers with gunmetal pipe wrap from cyclegear.com . one roll pack per pipe. It's all cosmetic and not enuff from kookin yor calf w/o wearing leather shin gards. Butt it does look good.
R u considering wrapping yor shields? Wat makes shield work effectively is that they focus radiation away from yor leg and they breath vent open thier backsides.
U go close them up with wrap, I bet they don't work no more. Same goes for puttin wrap under the shield.
The only true heat defeating measure is to ceramic glass coat the inside of a clean new pipe. poncho

·
Registered
226 Posts
Mine are wrapped and am very happy with the lower leg temperatures that I have seen. On hot days still plenty of heat coming off the 1700 but less concentrated around the legs.

I left my shields in place, they provide good air isolation from the pipes should you come into contact with them. Shields on the kawis are for looks and for protecting things that make accidental contact with the pipes.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Here's my .02 worth. I wrapped the pipes on my '99 Buell and what I learned was; wear gloves. Obviously it's fiberglass and the little splinters are nasty, also wear long sleeves. Wet it. I put mine in a small bucket of water and pulled it out of that. it will pull tighter when wet and dry even tighter. I used 2" because it has to be over lapped and the 1" didn't seem to want to overlap very well. The black can be refreshed with black bbq grill paint, and when you start it for the first time and when it gets wet it will smoke like a freight train. I've read that it will rot pipes from the inside out; don't know for sure as mine are stainless but I'm sure you're researching as I did. I did notice a difference in heat emanating from the pipes but the Buell pipes run right down my right leg where the Vulcan's run under my feet. Personally, if your pipes are still nice and pretty and shiny and you have heat shields I'd leave it alone unless it's for cosmetic purposes or just because you want to then go for it. Remember, cover your skin or you'll itch for days. I've got a whole post about it with pics and all on a Buell forum if I can find it for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts