Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
BOTM Winner, March 2015
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After all of the changes I made to the bike, the only notable inconvenience has been the seating geometry has changed enough that I'm now burning the back side of my jeans, just at the knee, on the first bend in the short pipe. I can no longer find heat shields for these pipes so exhaust wrap was suggested to me. I'm happy with how it looks, and even happier with how it performs... the exhaust isn't "cool" by any stretch, but it is definitely reduced enough in temperature that it no longer burns my leg. There is a silicone protective spray available for exhaust wrap, has anyone used it before? It's supposed to "seal" the tape from dirt and grime... I was just wondering if it's necessary, I kinda like the look and color of the tape as is. Here's a link to the spray... Cheers! :beer:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_hi-temp-silicone-coating-spray--black-design-engineering_16120018-p?searchTerm=exhaust+wrap

·
BOTM Winner, March 2015
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bthames2000~ I got the bags and fender off of ebay, there's a few different sellers that produce their own hand laid fiberglass bags and fenders. The particular guy I got these from was just starting his fiberglass fabrication business and had the bags, lids, and fender posted for about $400 Buy-It-Now to kind of get his feet wet. It took a while to receive them, but the quality was superb. He quickly increased his price to compete with the other sellers shortly after, I just got lucky. They were intended for a Harley Road King, and it took quite a bit of fabrication to get them to fit correctly. Here's a link to my build thread. http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29118

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Off topic, I remember following your build on here, but I missed you painting it. I like the pea soup green that was on it. What made ya go with black?

·
Registered
36 Posts
According reviews from folks who already tried silicone spray - it does not work. They advise to apply high-temp paint over the wrap, allowing it to soak and then use any method to dry.
Do you run any baffles in these pipes?

·
BOTM Winner, March 2015
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CustomRider~ It's black fiberglass...

SWVA_08V2k~ I was getting a little annoyed with the sage green satin, particularly from road dirt and birds. Probably if I put a satin clear coat over it the finish would be easier to clean, but during some browsing I found some paint schemes I liked, and black satin was the base... so for the next month or two the bike will be black satin, but will eventually have some color added in a few layered graphics to which I don't have the exact colors or pattern decided yet. I just want to ride while the weather is good :), the paint job will be fairly involved and I don't want to rush it just to get the bike back together again. I'm a much more patient person now than I was 20 years ago. :waiting:

·
BOTM Winner, March 2015
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Superfragl~ No baffles... just plain loud. :D Thanks for the feedback on the spray, I'm thinking I'll just leave them like they are for a while and see what happens.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a set of Samson straight pipes that have the same curved tips and the only option is to put baffles in header pipes. Not sure how will that affect engine performance. Did you notice any performance drop with your pipes?

·
BOTM Winner, March 2015
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a set of Samson straight pipes that have the same curved tips and the only option is to put baffles in header pipes. Not sure how will that affect engine performance. Did you notice any performance drop with your pipes?
I can't really say, these were the pipes that were on the bike when I got it. I'm happy with the performance of the wrap, it stopped the burning of my jeans... I was just unsure of how important using the silicone spray coating (or any other coating) is to protecting the wrap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts