Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Anyone have any thoughts or experiences with wrapping an exhaust? Pros? Cons? Does it do anything or is it just for looks?
thanks,
Truckie453

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Hey guys,
Anyone have any thoughts or experiences with wrapping an exhaust? Pros? Cons? Does it do anything or is it just for looks?
thanks,
Truckie453
my understanding is that it is used rather than putting on heat shields on or over the pipes, mostly used on customs, stops unbearable heat and cooking or burning your leg, Its not for me , but thats why they call them customs.

·
Registered
343 Posts
The hotter pipes flow gas better & this helps hold in the heat .Its even more benefit to 2 strokes that's why the sleds come with fiber shields on them from the factory & some buy after market pipes that are ceramic coated for the same reason.I coated some stock pipes on a 700 xc for this plus it looks sweat & keeps them from rusting. Ever see headers on a car wrapped its for the same reason

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies guys. I may just have to do it...

lilduec, awesome looking bike!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've wrapped headers on lots of race cars over the years, and a few sport bikes with aftermarket systems that were too close to the plastic bodywork.

My only .02 is this. If you allow the header wrap to get wet, then don't run the vehicle long enough to dry the header wrap completely...it will accelerate corrosion. Essentially you have wet rags wrapped around the exhaust for long periods. However, if you can get past this and/or just run the bike long enough to make sure everything is dry then you'll be fine. Also, fwiw, the material that the underlying pipes are made of/coated with will make the corrosion more or less of a concern.

-RW

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
+1 on getting them wet and corrosion.

If you're caught out in a rainstorm, the wrapped pipes will steam like nobody's business. As long as you're leaving the wraps on, i guess the corrosion problem isn't too big an issue, but if you ever take the wraps off, your pipes will show lines and wear from the wrap.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I've never been wild about how wrapped pipes look personally, but I guess they look better than blued, dinged, or rusty pipes!! :D
It looks good to others though, and that's all that really matters!:cool:

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again for all the input. I am still on the fence about the wrap. We'll see what happens when I stop by the autoparts store...

·
Registered
27 Posts
I wrapped my cobras this spring. Def helps the bike run a little better insulating the heat in the pipes and creating batter air/gas ratio. Does keep you from searing off your leg ( although you will never catch me in shorts on a bike). Only down fall i have is that even after 5k miles on them they smell a little when it gets super hot from the coating you put on to seal them. Other than that Great!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hey guys,
thanks,
Truckie453
just my opinion on the wrap,looks great on most bikes,(more so customized)it does help with the heat, a least it did on my 900 SE with black hard chrome strippers, after wrapping them,i was happy and liked the look,plenty of compliments, downside,i got caught in a couple rainstorms on trips, decided to remove wrap after 2months of being on,I found lots road grit that worked its way throught the wrap and noticed it was also a place for rust to start forming.when i removed the wrap the closer to the cylinders i got the more road grit i found(never been on gravel or dirt road)I figured it had to have worked its way in from riding in a couple rainstorms for a long period. plus the deadfish smell the wrap gives off when it gets wet and drys off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts