Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got my order of lava exhaust wrap and went to task of installing it. Quite an easy mod to do all be it a little fiddily at times getting the clamps aligned so they don't mess with the exhaust bolts, cylinder and chrome heat shield and re-installing the heat shields over the wrap.

At first I had my doubts about it's merits, BUT riding the past two days (yesterday was 37c) my temp guage barely moves past 1/2 when riding and about 3/4 when in traffic (before it would be pushing the red band). Noticable drop in engine heat whilst riding although I never felt it was too much an issue (2012 Voyager).

However I do have one question. I was under the impression these bikes ran on the lean side to get past emissions, but I was surprised by how dark and almost sotty the inside of the pipes were - normal for these bikes as I would have thought the color would have been a light grey/brown???

·
Registered
299 Posts
Your spark plugs will be light brown or grayish but not the exhaust pipe. Even autos have the black stuff.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the 2012 Voyager and it runs very hot. I think the Kams is a joke! I also wrapped my pipes this week and have found it does help. I am going on a 500 mile run on Friday and the temps should be in the mid 80's. I will post how it does.

I do have a extra roll of wrap and stainless steel straps for sale, $70.00 plus shipping. This roll is enough to do 2 bikes. Let me know if you are interested.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Jp I know the pipes run hot. I have a 09 voyager that produces more heat than the sun. I just thought with the new system the heat was greatly reduced so you would not have to do anything else.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The KAMS system really only seems to help when stationary (I think), and it works pretty well to get heat away when stopped. When moving I have noticed a good heat reduction since wrapping but also as I mentioned the bike runs cooler according to the temp guage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts