Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was driving down the highway on my 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 800 and heard a popping noise followed by my bike shutting off and metal pieces jingling on the pavement behind me. I at first didn't know WHAT was happening but rolled my bike off the road to find out. I found the exhaust valve in my exhaust pipe and small pieces of metal on the ground... NOT GOOD. This engine was just shy of 50k though so I feel like it held up well for how long it did!

Here's my problem. I can't find any decent full engine replacements OR any parts that I can do a full valve replacement kit with. I'm trying to not spend more than $1,000 to fix this and get me back on the road again. I feel as if I've looked everywhere and can't find the parts I need. I have so many questions!

I found valve kits on Ebay for a Vulcan 800a.. would that be the same parts as the b??
Does anyone know where I can find parts for this job to do on my own or who I can buy a good replacement engine from?

I can provide more info if needed but I don't necessarily know what kind of monster I'm dealing with just yet. This would be my first time taking apart an engine if I got the right parts.

IF there are other sizes of engines I could buy in place of the exact same model, what should I pick? What year of engines can I replace with??

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Hi. I'm not familiar with the 800 series, but you can determine if the parts are common between models by looking at the part numbers. They are on line at several places. Partsshark is one place. Here's the diagram for your bike. You can then compare part numbers for other models from their diagrams.

https://www.partshark.com/oemparts/a/kaw/500b264ff8700223e47901dd/valve-s

edit

Here;s the 800a. The first few part numbers I saw look the same.
https://www.partshark.com/oemparts/a/kaw/500b25dbf8700223e478f6e1/valve-s

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was driving down the highway on my 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 800 and heard a popping noise followed by my bike shutting off and metal pieces jingling on the pavement behind me. I at first didn't know WHAT was happening but rolled my bike off the road to find out. I found the exhaust valve in my exhaust pipe and small pieces of metal on the ground... NOT GOOD. This engine was just shy of 50k though so I feel like it held up well for how long it did!

Here's my problem. I can't find any decent full engine replacements OR any parts that I can do a full valve replacement kit with. I'm trying to not spend more than $1,000 to fix this and get me back on the road again. I feel as if I've looked everywhere and can't find the parts I need. I have so many questions!

I found valve kits on Ebay for a Vulcan 800a.. would that be the same parts as the b??
Does anyone know where I can find parts for this job to do on my own or who I can buy a good replacement engine from?

I can provide more info if needed but I don't necessarily know what kind of monster I'm dealing with just yet. This would be my first time taking apart an engine if I got the right parts.
I would be shopping Ebay for a replacement engine. I may cost more to fix what you have than doing the replacement. you may very well have a bent rod too besides what damage is done to the head, cylinder, and piston. Cylinder and head may need to be replaced any ways. There are a few on Ebay for sale.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi. I'm not familiar with the 800 series, but you can determine if the parts are common between models by looking at the part numbers. They are on line at several places. Partsshark is one place. Here's the diagram for your bike. You can then compare part numbers for other models from their diagrams.

https://www.partshark.com/oemparts/a/kaw/500b264ff8700223e47901dd/valve-s

edit

Here;s the 800a. The first few part numbers I saw look the same.
https://www.partshark.com/oemparts/a/kaw/500b25dbf8700223e478f6e1/valve-s

Thanks! I will see what I can find on here! So the parts would have the exact same #s?

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would be shopping Ebay for a replacement engine. I may cost more to fix what you have than doing the replacement. you may very well have a bent rod too besides what damage is done to the head, cylinder, and piston. Cylinder and head may need to be replaced any ways. There are a few on Ebay for sale.

I've been checking Ebay for about 4 months and the only one I found sold too quickly. I see one that's on there now but it looks like it's in really rough shape.. I need to find one that's at least worth the money. If you see something I missed though please fill me in! I'll take all the assistance I can to fix my bike

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've been checking Ebay for about 4 months and the only one I found sold too quickly. I see one that's on there now but it looks like it's in really rough shape.. I need to find one that's at least worth the money. If you see something I missed though please fill me in! I'll take all the assistance I can to fix my bike
There is at least 6 complete engines on Ebay right now.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-KAWASAKI-VULCAN-800-VN-VN800-Motor-Engine-4022-Miles-Free-Freight/362337733298?fits=Make:Kawasaki|Model:Vulcan+800&epid=12016999537&hash=item545d030ab2:g:-04AAOSwCXJbEH2u

All depends on how you word the search. This one even includes the freight for the lower 48.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bought a good low-mileage engine here. It was listed on eBay.

Rick's Motorcycle Enterprise, Inc.
33 Newton Road
Plaistow, NH 03865
800-423-1320
Established in 1978

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
All 800 motors for the Vulcan line are the same, with this exception. The 95 and 96 models had a higher 1st and 2nd gear ratio than all others I believe. This is why the 95-96 models have a 16/46 sprocket and chain set were all others have a 17/42 set. After replacing the cams in my 05 classic, doing the work myself, I had over $800 into the motor, so with a dropped valve, you can easily be looking at a couple grand to fix, better to find another motor. This is the thread I did when I replaced the cams, could give you an idea of whats involved.
https://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/18-engine-work/32923-800-cylinder-liners.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts