Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have a 900 Vulcan Custom, at the same time I bought my wife a 2016 (brand new) Suzuki S40. Her exhaust is turning purple starting from the motor down.
I read somewhere that it means the gas/air mix is too lean and that it may cause it.
But its a brand new bike.
Any idea as to what the issue could be?

Thanks!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Probably has single wall pipe; it will always change color with exhaust heat. Bikes that do not show any color change on the pipe either have ceramic coating, double wall pipe or the actual pipe is completely hidden behind a heat shield...some shields are as long as the entire length of the head pipe.

Blue Away is a product that will remove pipe discoloration from heat. Works great, even if it does take some elbow grease.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have an S40. A fine, spirited little MC. That 650 thumper is a classic engine, over three decades in production, but there are things you need to know about your S40 to avoid trouble.

Bluing of the pipe on an S40/Savage is suggesting over lean jetting and hot running. Not instant death but not optimum. Emissions laws force Suzuki to set them up lean and it's inconsistent -- some run hot and some don't. . Rejetting the Mikuni BS40 is easy. You can drill out a little brass plug on the right side of the Mikuni and enrich the idle mixture with a screwdriver. A healthy S40 engine's pipe is a golden color at the top, fading to clear chrome.

There's a good Savage/S40 forum where a world of info is available. Savage

1 - 6 of 6 Posts