Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 1500 FI and as the title says, I'm looking for any cool suggestions for pipes. Stock system on the bike currently. I'm budget-conscious and I realize the stock system all but eliminates the idea of just modifying it without some custom fabrication. Some ideas I've thought of:

-Drifter exhaust and de-baffle (I'm OK with the goat's belly - trying to avoid needing to re-map FI system)
-other make/model/year bike's OEM exhaust that will fit - I read a thread from a while back where a guy had a H-D exhaust system fitted to his Vulcan but can't remember if it was a 1500 classic - and again de-baffle
-Other Vulcan exhaust that would fit with little trouble (I'm OK with having to figure out mounts) that would allow the use of slip-ons; i.e. 07-13 VN900 exhaust?

Eventually I could just save up and buy a set of pipes but as stated I'm trying to avoid going that route. I am watching eBay for a used set too as scratching/minor rust aren't an issue to me...would get them sandblasted and powdercoated black anyways. I also have no plans to upgrade the air intake - at least for now. I don't want my MPG to take a big hit all for the sake of minor power increases - I just want a little more dB's!

Thanks!

·
Registered
171 Posts
If you're just wanting it to be loud for cheap, something like the Shorty GP might be a good slip on option. They look awesome, and from what I hear are absurdly loud, plus are pretty inexpensive.

·
Registered
83 Posts
You only need to remap, or add a fuel processor, if you replace the air intake. Remember any mode AFTER the engine does not affect the fuel or intake,mode before the engine will affect it. Why not just remove the stock baffles, it's a easy thing to do, and really sounds good.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
there's 3 options, #1 do this buying good pipes/install a fuel processor/new air intake. #2 do it cheap by removing stock baffles and end up with poor performance and cheap sounding bike. #3 keep what you have and forget about wanting cool sounding pipes because unless you do #1 you won't get cool sounding pipes. I Recommend you go the #3 route.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the cobra power plus. The two into one pipe. I'd really like the dual pipes. Like the Cobra Drag pipes, but that link says 1996-2003. I have an 06 1500 Classic FI.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
I have the cobra power plus. The two into one pipe. I'd really like the dual pipes. Like the Cobra Drag pipes, but that link says 1996-2003. I have an 06 1500 Classic FI.
Generally, two into one gives you better performance on the low end than twin pipes, with a little loss at the top. But if you are after the look, I'd try the slip-on route if a budget is an issue.

Here's some articles about 2 into 1 vs dual exhaust

https://www.fixmyhog.com/post/dual-exhaust-vs-a-2-into-1/

https://www.denniskirk.com/blog/2018/09/19/2-into-1-system-vs-true-dual-exhaust-a-comparison/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts