Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have just bought a 1998 Vulcan 800B Classic. The rear header pipe is secured with the original allen bolts. The front header pipe is secured with studs and nuts. The stud on the left (nearest the air filter) is partially broken. As a result, there is very little thread to secure the nut. The previous owner has fitted the header pipe without an exhaust gasket, as fitting a gasket would have added an extra 4mm. As a result, the front header pipe is leaking exhaust gasses, which you can feel if you place your hand near the cylinder exhaust port.
I would like to fix this, and I am considering 2 options.

1. Replace the broken stud and refit a new stud with a gasket.
2. Remove both threaded studs from the cylinder head and replace with 2 new bolts.

I am unable to find the size of a suitable replacement bolt or stud. I need to know the correct length/width and thread, to avoid damage to the head?

Can anybody help.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I believe there should be studs on both exhaust ports, the allen stuff is hollow & threaded like a nut if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes there are two studs for each pipe.. One is intact, but the other is broken. I can either replace the broken one, or remove both and replace with bolts.
I just need to know the dimensions? I can't find this information online?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I have now replaced the studs and fitted OEM nuts. Problem solved.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
how did you get the old studs out and installed new ones?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts