Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided to go back to my stock exhaust after a couple months with my Cobra pipes. Got the gaskets from the dealership, great, now I just need to set aside an hour to wrangle em. Or so I thought.

With the heat shields in the way, I managed to wiggle a socket onto each of the nuts, and wouldn't you know it, the 2nd one I went after, the stud started backing out rather than the nut coming off. 3rd one I tried (front-most stud), it started backing out, then stopped. "Great," I thought, "it's going to start actually undoing the nut". Well it snapped the stud, and now that stud is soaking in penetrating oil.

I must have overtightened them or something (now I know for next time to use some PB blaster first too...) So I'll be waking up real early to get to the fastenal store to get some studs, since the local Kawi dealer wants $4 and change *each*.

My question though: should I go ahead and replace all the studs and acorn nuts? I mean, I'd rather not, but if it prevents further headache, it might be worth it; I've heard of some people routinely replacing these.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Definitely replace the nuts and studs, just due to the extreme thermals that both are subjected to. Otherwise the old nuts could very easily start pulling or distorting the new threads on the studs, and or the nuts may have a loose contact with the threads on the new studs.... Expansion/contraction due to high heat has a real nice tendency to "bond" threaded components...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dealership has to order the parts, fastenal doesn't have the right studs. 2 days I can't ride, and the one stud is still stuck! Got my pops coming by on Friday with the welder to get a nut on there hopefully. Well this is fun.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update:

Still have to wait on the studs and nuts of course, but I got the stud out. It broke with a good bit left sticking out, just enough to use this:

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/Steering-And-Suspension/Stud-Remover/2925113.p

It needs about 1/2 inch of stud to grab, but damn does having the right tool ever help! Best $16 I ever spent.

Side note, you folks in the US have it good, that tool is $3 at Harbour Freight. Of course it's cast, not machined, but for $3 it'd be worth buying a new one every time you've got a stuck stud!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Glad to hear the broken stud came !!! Might try using a very small amount of anti-sieze compound to the threads (both ends) prior to installing the studs. Can't say for sure what its temp rating is, but it could easily keep the studs from seizing if you have to ever disassemble again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
never sieze on studs

My friend is a machinist,, I know he has chewed me out at least once for not using the correct temp never sieze on stuff,, make sure you get some for high temps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts